Magnetic field = electric field in some reference frame?

In summary, a magnetic field can be viewed as an electric field modified by relativistic considerations, or alternatively, as an electric field with some relativistic effects. However, if a magnetometer is not a device that measures electric fields that are modified by relativity, then the magnetic field can not be transformed away.
rumborak
This Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism

seems (to me) imply that there is always a frame of reference in which a magnetic field can be rather viewed as an electric field modified by relativistic considerations. Is that always true? That is, disregarding the inconvenience of doing so, could one entirely remove the concept of the magnetic field and only describe it as electric field + relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
rumborak said:
Is that always true?
No. You can construct two Lorentz invariants from the electromagnetic field. One of them is ##\vec E^2 - c^2 \vec B^2## and if this is negative the magnetic field will be non zero in all frames.

Likes rumborak
rumborak said:
This Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism

seems (to me) imply that there is always a frame of reference in which a magnetic field can be rather viewed as an electric field modified by relativistic considerations. Is that always true? That is, disregarding the inconvenience of doing so, could one entirely remove the concept of the magnetic field and only describe it as electric field + relativity?
1: Some magnetic fields can be viewed as electric fields modified by relativistic considerations, in any frame except one, the one where the modifications by relativistic considerations are zero.

2: Some other magnetic fields can be viewed as magnetic fields in all frames. In other words these magnetic fields can be viewed as an electric fields modified by relativistic considerations, and the relativistic considerations do not become zero in any frame.

Orodruin said:
No. You can construct two Lorentz invariants from the electromagnetic field. One of them is ##\vec E^2 - c^2 \vec B^2## and if this is negative the magnetic field will be non zero in all frames.

In all frames a moving charge detects a magnetic field = In all frames a moving charge feels electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations

jartsa said:
In all frames a moving charge detects a magnetic field = In all frames a moving charge feels electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations
No, this is incorrect. It is not even clear what you are trying to say. There are perfectly valid examples of EM fields that cannot be transformed to pure electric or pure magnetic fields in any frame. Any field configuration for which ##\vec E\cdot \vec B \neq 0## will have this property.

Likes rumborak
Awesome answers, thanks everybody. I somewhat suspected that if one was able to reduce EM to either just E or B, this would have been pointed out more in literature, but the wording in the Wikipedia page seemed suggestive.

Orodruin said:
No, this is incorrect. It is not even clear what you are trying to say. There are perfectly valid examples of EM fields that cannot be transformed to pure electric or pure magnetic fields in any frame. Any field configuration for which ##\vec E\cdot \vec B \neq 0## will have this property.

Any occurrence of "magnetic field" can be replaced with "electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations". That is the idea. If all sentences make sense after that translation, then we could forget "magnetic fields" if we wanted.

Let us try, here is a paragraph:

A current loop produces a magnetic field. A device that measures magnetic fields shows that there is a magnetic field. No matter how the device is moved, the magnetic field stays a magnetic field. The magnetic field can not be transformed away.And here is a "translation":

A current loop produces electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations. A device that measures electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations shows that there are electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations. No matter how the device is moved, the electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations stay electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations. The electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations can not be transformed away.Well that sounds terrible, but not wrong. Except if a magnetometer is absolutely not a device that measures electric fields that are modified by relativity.

jartsa said:
Any occurrence of "magnetic field" can be replaced with "electric fields that are modified by relativistic considerations". That is the idea
That idea is wrong. See above.

I mean, mathematically I guess it also makes sense that you can't reduce it. If you can describe it as a four-dimensional tensor, that sort of implies that it can not be reduced to lower dimensions, correct? Or could you actually have "redundancy" in a tensor?

Orodruin said:
That idea is wrong. See above.
So, if I have a stream of electrons, the stream has a magnetic field, that can be transformed away, so the field can be said to be some electric fields with some relativistic effects.

And if I have another stream of electrons, that stream has a magnetic field, that can be transformed away, so the field can be said to be some electric fields with some relativistic effects.

But if I cross the two streams, there is a magnetic field that can not be transformed away.

And now I am supposed to be convinced that the field of crossed beams can not be said to be some electric fields with relativistic effects?

(Note: I'm not convinced at all)

jartsa said:
And now I am supposed to be convinced that the field of crossed beams can not be said to be some electric fields with relativistic effects?
Yes. Because there is no frame in which the EM field is purely electric. This is a mathematical fact.

I could just as well consider a fundamental magnetic dipole (the electron is a magnetic dipole so classically the magnetic field actually dominates the electron's EM field at short distances).

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it relate to an electric field in a reference frame?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is typically created by moving electric charges. In some reference frames, a magnetic field can be equivalent to an electric field. This means that the effects of a magnetic field can be described using the same equations as an electric field.

2. Can you explain the concept of a reference frame in relation to a magnetic field and an electric field?

A reference frame is a way of describing the position and motion of an object or system. In the context of a magnetic field and an electric field, a reference frame is used to describe the relative motion between the observer and the charged particles creating the fields. In certain reference frames, the magnetic and electric fields may appear to be the same, while in others they may have different strengths and directions.

3. How can a magnetic field be transformed into an electric field in a reference frame?

A magnetic field and an electric field can be transformed into each other in a reference frame through the process of electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field creates an electric field, or when a changing electric field creates a magnetic field. This phenomenon is described by Faraday's law of induction and is the basis for many technologies such as generators and transformers.

4. What are some examples of reference frames where a magnetic field is equivalent to an electric field?

One example is a reference frame where the observer is moving at a constant velocity parallel to a wire carrying a current. In this frame, the magnetic field generated by the current appears as an electric field. Another example is a reference frame where the observer is stationary and an electromagnetic wave is passing through. In this frame, the changing electric and magnetic fields of the wave are equivalent to each other.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of a magnetic field being equivalent to an electric field in a reference frame?

Yes, this concept is limited by the laws of relativity. In some cases, the transformation between magnetic and electric fields in a reference frame may not hold true if the observer's velocity is close to the speed of light. Additionally, the concept only applies in certain reference frames and may not hold true in all scenarios, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields.