What Does "Twin B Being 3 Years Younger" Mean? An Explanation from My Cousin

• Thread starter Remnant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the conversation was about the concept of time dilation and the twin paradox. One person explained that if one twin were to go into space and come back at the same speed, they would be 3 years younger than their twin who remained on Earth. However, the concept of time dilation is more complex and involves factors such as acceleration and gravitational fields. The conversation also discussed the formula for time dilation and how it applies to this scenario.
Remnant
My cousin stated that "Two twins born at the same time. Twin "A" remained on earth, and twin 'B" other be sent out in space(he did not specify where), and when twin "B" came back to Earth he would be 3 years younger than twin A. Could someone specify what he meant by that.

I am not sure if he was talking about relative time. That twin B would be 3 years younger before he came back to Earth and began catching up in relative time when he started heading back to Earth. If someone could specify my post, disprove my thought as maybe just a misunderstanding (its been many years since i heard my cousin tell me that statement). It would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
First, time dilation does not depend upon direction. If twin B will be 3 years younger after his trip away from earth, he will NOT regain that time coming back. If he travels back at the same speed at which he went away (relative to the earth), one could argue that he would have to be 6 years younger when he arrives back on earth. I suspect in this case it is meant that B will be 3 years younger than A when he arrives back on earth.

One could also argue that, since speed is relative, twin B sees himself as stationary and twin A as moving away at the same speed and so twin A should be 3 or 6 years younger when they get back together. That is referred to as the "twin paradox" (and cannot be solved by saying what one gains going out one loses coming back!).

Resolving that paradox involves two different things. First, in order for twin B, who was initially stationary on earth, to leave, he must undergo an acceleration- inertial frames don't apply. In order to come back, he must also undergo an acceleration. The other point is that A remained on earth, subject to its gravitational field- and that also has its effect. That involves going into general relativity which is far beyond me!

Thank you for your input, i think that it was implied from my cousin that, 3 years was the time that it took for the twin to return to earth. I appreciate your time on this subject

Remnant said:
Thank you for your input, i think that it was implied from my cousin that, 3 years was the time that it took for the twin to return to earth. I appreciate your time on this subject
Just so you know, the time dilation formula says that in the Earth's frame of reference, a ship moving at speed v would be slowed down by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex], where c is the speed of light. So if the twin were to travel away from the Earth and back maintaining a speed of 0.8c, and the trip lasted 5 years according to clocks on Earth, then the clocks on the twin's ship would be slowed down by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{1 - 0.8^2} = \sqrt{1 - 0.64} = \sqrt{0.36} = 0.6[/tex], so the traveling twin would only have aged (0.6)*(5 years) = 3 years when he returned to Earth.

Related to What Does "Twin B Being 3 Years Younger" Mean? An Explanation from My Cousin

1. What does it mean for a "twin B" to be 3 years younger?

When someone refers to a "twin B" being 3 years younger, it means that they are the second-born twin and are 3 years younger than their twin sibling. This is a common way to refer to twins in order to distinguish between the two.

2. Is it common for twins to have an age difference?

Yes, it is common for twins to have an age difference. This can happen in several ways, such as one twin being born before the other due to a longer labor or one twin being born on a different day due to being born after midnight. In the case of "twin B being 3 years younger," the age difference is due to being born at different times.

3. How does being the second-born twin affect a person?

Being the second-born twin can have various effects on a person. Some studies have shown that the second-born twin may have slightly lower birth weights and be at a slightly higher risk for health issues. However, these differences are usually minimal and do not have a significant impact on a person's life.

4. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to being the second-born twin?

There is no clear consensus on whether there are advantages or disadvantages to being the second-born twin. Some studies have shown that the second-born twin may have a higher chance of being left-handed or having a more outgoing personality, but these differences are not significant enough to make a generalization. Ultimately, being a twin, whether first-born or second-born, is a unique and special bond that cannot be compared to others.

5. How can I tell which twin is the first-born and which is the second-born?

There is no definitive way to tell which twin is the first-born and which is the second-born without asking or looking at their birth certificates. In some cases, the first-born twin may be slightly larger or have more prominent features, but this is not always the case. The best way to know for sure is to simply ask the twins or their parents.