Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What every man should know.

1. none

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7-9

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. 10-12

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. 13-16

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  7. 17-19

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. 20-22

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. 23-24

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. All 25

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Oct 6, 2007 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to Popular Mechanics, these are the 25 skills every man should know.

1. Patch a radiator hose
    2. Protect your computer
    3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
    4. Frame a wall
    5. Retouch digital photos
    6. Back up a trailer
    7. Build a campfire
    8. Fix a dead outlet
    9. Navigate with a map and compass
    10. Use a torque wrench
    11. Sharpen a knife
    12. Perform CPR
    13. Fillet a fish
    14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
    15. Get a car unstuck
    16. Back up data
    17. Paint a room
    18. Mix concrete
    19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
    20. Change oil and filter
    21. Hook up an HDTV
    22. Bleed brakes
    23. Paddle a canoe
    24. Fix a bike flat
    25. Extend your wireless network

How many do you know?

Also, do you agree/disagree with the list?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    I can:

2. Protect your computer
    3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
    4. Frame a wall
    5. Retouch digital photos
    7. Build a campfire
    9. Navigate with a map and compass
    10. Use a torque wrench
    11. Sharpen a knife
    12. Perform CPR
    14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
    15. Get a car unstuck
    16. Back up data
    17. Paint a room
    18. Mix concrete
    21. Hook up an HDTV
    23. Paddle a canoe
    24. Fix a bike flat
    25. Extend your wireless network

26. Call someone who knows how to do the things I can't

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only things I haven't done are 12, 21, and 25, but I'm pretty sure I could hook up an HDTV.

I'd delete 4 & 25 and put 'repair a toilet' and 'repair a sink' in their place.

Open a can and open a bottle of beer should probably be on the list somewhere, too.

Having skin like leather and the diamond hard look of the cobra should be on there, too, and maybe the ability to walk like Brando right into the Sun and dance like a Casanova.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. Oct 6, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've done all but 12 and 21, but I have had CPR lessons. I'd probably read the instructions to hook up HDTV installation.

With a set of keys and key ring, counter/table edge (preferably metal or ceramic and not wood), screwdriver, hammer, or just about any tool.

I've repaired most kinds of plumbing including installation and repair of showers, sinks, toilets, piping, DWV, . . . through steam lines, condensate lines, and then stuff like repair pumps, motors, compressors, and various other equipment.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I put 23, but I still need to think about the radiator hose... I should know that one. Of course, unless stranded, you never patch a hose anyway. :biggrin:

I only use wireless networks when at hotels.

They should have included using a pair of nylons to replace a broken V-belt, and pepper for a leaky radiator [in life or death situations].

How to use a multi-meter

And they forgot the most important one of all: How to keep mama happy! Because if mama's not happy, nobody's happy.

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6
    The only things I cant do are those like 1.14.15 and 22. well, mostly because I don’t know what the horse thing is and I am too young to drive a car.

8. Oct 6, 2007 #7

russ_watters

There are a couple that I have never done, but only one that I wouldn't know how to do - bleed brakes.

Being a Boy Scout took care of about a third of those...

9. Oct 6, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not being a man, I can do 21 of them, and can't imagine hooking up any sort of TV would be all that difficult, but haven't tried with an HDTV (I'm not getting one of those or a flat screen TV until the prices come down to what a normal TV costs). I used to joke that I had to go to grad school to learn to back a trailer, because that's when I learned to do it while moving animals around the farm for experiments.

In theory, I think I could frame a wall too, but have never needed to do construction on that scale yet (short of handing nails to my dad when I was a kid...I'm sure my help only slowed him down, but at that age, my mind was like a sponge, so I could watch something once and do it myself...I think that knowledge is still kicking around in my head somewhere). The only one that I wouldn't even know where to begin would be cleaning a rifle.

10. Oct 6, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that's easy, just keep stepping on the brake pedal until Dad tells you to stop. :biggrin: Yeah, that was one of mine too...I was always on the pedal side of the job. My step-sister can do it though, so I should ask her someday to teach me.

11. Oct 6, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tsu hates it when I need help bleeding the brakes on truck. Her leg usually gets tired before I can bleed the longest lines.

12. Oct 6, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

13. Oct 6, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you boil water in a paper bag over an open fire? :biggrin:

14. Oct 6, 2007 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Though I have never needed it I have been trained in CPR. I am not sure about the radiator hose, a lot would depend on what was at hand. I claimed 23 or 24.

edit:
    Modern hookup of HD is easy, the single HDMI cable gets it all. Hooking up the component cables along with a full Home theater system is a bit more fun.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  15. Oct 7, 2007 #14

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

What about screwing in lightbulbs?

16. Oct 7, 2007 #15

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

how to make your woman feel wonderful - this we all aspire to.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  17. Oct 7, 2007 #16
    :rofl::rofl:

18. Oct 7, 2007 #17

Astronuc

Ivan covered that one so eloquently -
    :biggrin:

19. Oct 7, 2007 #18
    Don#t forget the german way.... With a lighter. Thats like the number one bottle opener in germany.

20. Oct 7, 2007 #19
    Real men can turn a bicycle frame into a blowtorch, disarm a bomb with a hockey ticket, or weld a broken pipe with a handfull of quarters.

[​IMG]

21. Oct 7, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I have not hooked up a HDTV, but I claimed all 25. If I can build guitar amplifiers, I figure I can plug in a few cables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?