What governs how hard it is to turn a dynamo?

In summary, to turn a miniature electric motor, you will need more force than what a small brushed motor can provide. You might be able to speed up the miniature electric motor by spinning it with an electric drill.
samsonmustang
Say I wanted to attach a dynamo up to some pedals or something - what factors would affect how hard the shaft would be to turn?

Is it governed by the physical configuration of the dynamo (windings, etc)? Or is it the (electrical) load attached that matters - and how does that work?

If I wanted to be able to alter the resistance (as in physical difficulty) of the pedals up and down in steps, how could I do that? What kind of steps could I get? And how would that affect the power/voltage/current/physical-electrons-coming-out-of-the-dynamo?

I feel like I know a lot of terms and 'theory', but I have very little instinct for how things go together in practice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

samsonmustang said:
Is it governed by the physical configuration of the dynamo (windings, etc)?

to a very minor extent

samsonmustang said:
Or is it the (electrical) load attached that matters - and how does that work?

that's the one :wink:

the heavier the load ie. the more current required by the load
the more work you have to do to turn the dynamo shaft to generate that current

power in = power out minus losses in the system

Dave

samsonmustang said:
Is it governed by the physical configuration of the dynamo (windings, etc)? Or is it the (electrical) load attached that matters - and how does that work?
Welcome to PF!

A dynamo or motor is basically a cluster of electromagnets and stationary magnets rolled into a cylinder. The magnets and electromagnets oppose each other and in dynamo mode, the magnets quite literally push the electrons through the wires.

Okay, that's brilliant. So that sounds like I can 'step' the difficulty up and down just by adding in more and more resistors?

I don't suppose either of you gentlemen would be able to recommend a good place to buy a dynamo so I can have a play with this at home? (Google just shows me lots of portable diesel generators or those little bike things, nothing in between.)

an automobile heater or radiator fan motor is a dynamo.
I

SO is an old fashioned automobile generator
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9060-Generator-Delco-Remy-Chevy-Car-/151994166265?hash=item23638eebf9:g:gMYAAOSwNgxWC~tw&vxp=mtr

Okay, thanks.

I think I need more voltage than a little bike generator can give me - but not as much as the car one would provide. It seems that dynamos are generally made for a specific purpose - you can't just come up with a rating and buy them off the shelf from somewhere?

(Makes me wonder where those bike/car companies are sourcing them from.)

...I've just realized, motors and generators are mechanically the same thing, aren't they? So if I know what wattage I want out, I can just buy and motor and run it backwards. Right?

Nidum: thanks. It may sound silly, but when you're this new to a subject, you don't even know what words you should be Googling. That vocab (simple as it is) is often just as useful as the search results.

samsonmustang said:
..I've just realized, motors and generators are mechanically the same thing, aren't they? So if I know what wattage I want out, I can just buy and motor and run it backwards. Right?
dont run it backwards, just speed it up.

So long as you don't get into brushless DC motors, yes they're the same .

Get a small brushed motor and spin it with an electric drill to experiment.

samsonmustang said:
I don't suppose either of you gentlemen would be able to recommend a good place to buy a dynamo
For the man on a budget scrap yards are handy. I buy electric motors for thirty cents a pound.
Windshield wiper motors abound and are good for a few amps. Older Ford ones are three brush - an interesting variant to look up should you encounter one.
Automobile radiator fan motors are popular among DIYers , good for perhaps ten amps. Get a single speed one with only two wires for starting out, they're simpler.
Automobile heater fan motors are surprisingly powerful, some approach twenty amps.
A permanent magnet dynamo makes voltage in direct proportion to speed, no regulator required.After you've got your feet wet you can advance to something with a field ?

Likes russ_watters
Thanks, Jim.

The only think I've really played with are little stepper motors, which won't do at all. I shall take all this on board.

1. What is a dynamo?

A dynamo is a mechanical device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a rotating coil of wire, called an armature, and a stationary magnet. As the armature rotates, the magnetic field induces a current in the wire, generating electricity.

2. What factors influence how hard it is to turn a dynamo?

The main factors that govern how hard it is to turn a dynamo include the strength of the magnetic field, the size and number of the coils in the armature, and the speed at which the armature is rotating. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and any external load attached to the dynamo also play a role.

3. Why does turning a dynamo become harder as the magnetic field becomes stronger?

The stronger the magnetic field, the more force is needed to overcome the magnetic force and rotate the armature. This is due to the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that the more magnetic flux passing through a coil, the greater the induced current and the harder it is to turn the dynamo.

4. How does the size and number of coils in the armature affect the difficulty of turning a dynamo?

The size and number of coils in the armature determine the amount of wire in the dynamo and therefore, the resistance of the circuit. The larger the coils or the more coils there are, the greater the resistance, making it harder to turn the dynamo.

5. Why does the speed of the armature impact the difficulty of turning a dynamo?

The speed of the armature affects the rate at which the magnetic field is changing, which in turn affects the induced current. A higher speed means a faster changing magnetic field and a stronger induced current, making it harder to turn the dynamo.