Revisiting Forum Display Options: The Impact on Community and User Engagement

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the preference for having names and total number of viewers visible at the bottom of forums without having to log in. The speaker also expresses their love for the sense of community on the platform and questions the decision to make this information visible only to members. They also mention the annoyance of having to log in to reply when viewing the platform logged out.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I only names at the bottom of forums when I'm logged-in. I much prefer how it was before - names and total number viewing on each forum. People want to drop by and see these without having to log in.

We went through something like this before. I can only say again that I love the sense of community that I get when I'm here, and I (and, I think, others) don't get the same sense of community, without the stats at the bottom of each forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
I only names at the bottom of forums when I'm logged-in. I much prefer how it was before - names and total number viewing on each forum. People want to drop by and see these without having to log in.

We went through something like this before. I can only say again that I love the sense of community that I get when I'm here, and I (and, I think, others) don't get the same sense of community, without the stats at the bottom of each forum.

To save db queries it's now set to members only. Why would you view PF logged out?

Greg Bernhardt said:
To save db queries it's now set to members only. Why would you view PF logged out?

I hate viewing PF logged out. When you want to reply, you have to log in and...

Annoying.

1. What is "What happen to the names? II" about?

"What happen to the names? II" is a scientific study that focuses on changes in naming patterns and trends over time. It seeks to understand the reasons behind shifts in popular names and their impact on society.

2. What methods were used in the study?

The study utilized a combination of historical data analysis, statistical modeling, and surveys to examine changes in naming patterns. Researchers also conducted interviews with individuals to gather insights on personal naming experiences.

3. What were the major findings of the study?

The study found that there has been a significant increase in diversity and uniqueness in names over the past few decades. It also identified cultural, societal, and technological influences as major factors in the evolution of naming trends.

4. How can this study be applied in real life?

Understanding the underlying factors behind naming trends can be useful in various fields, such as marketing, social sciences, and education. It can also provide insights into cultural and societal changes and help predict future naming patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to the study?

Like any scientific study, there are limitations to "What happen to the names? II". The research focused primarily on Western societies and may not be applicable to other cultures. Additionally, the study was limited by the availability and accuracy of historical data.