What happen when photon passing through highly charged field?

In summary: The question about strong magnetic fields is invalid because it does not follow from the premise that photons do not interact with photons. A strong magnetic field could potentially affect photons, but there is no evidence that it does.
AlienUFO
I think I had seen it elsewhere, but I can't found it now. What happen when photon passing through highly charged field?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "passing through highly charged field" ? What field ?

Keep in mind that photons do NOT interact with photons (at least not directly, in higher order perturbation theory they do interact through hadronization but i am sure that will take us too far)

marlon

I think you misunderstand 'passing through highly charged field', my question like electron being accelerate by negative field, deflected by positive field...

Charged particle is significantly shows interaction with charged field. So how about uncharged particles like neutron and photon going under these very highly charged field? I remember there still be some kind of reaction under critic condition, I had read.

AlienUFO said:
I think you misunderstand 'passing through highly charged field', my question like electron being accelerate by negative field, deflected by positive field...
Well, that is indeed what i asumed you meant to say in the first place. The answer i gave concerning photons stays the same.

I remember there still be some kind of reaction under critic condition, I had read.
Dunno 'bout that but fact is that uncharged particles (electrically as well as magnetically "un"charged) are NOT affected by the presence of the EM field. As a matter of fact, the electroncharge e expresses the strength of interaction of the EM force mediated by photons. In short : e is the coupling constant of the EM interaction. So, no e equals no EM interaction. It is as simple as that. Same counts for the magnetic part which is dual to the electric part.

marlon

marlon said:
Keep in mind that photons do NOT interact with photons (at least not directly, in higher order perturbation theory they do interact through hadronization but i am sure that will take us too far)

marlon

I just surf through internet find no article about 'photon hadronization', indeed I do, but all in mathematical expression, which I can't understand.

OK, what I want is a direct and simple answer: What is the result when photon passing through very high EM field?

I'm no expert, but as far as I know photons are not affected by electromagnetic fields, since they are not charged particles.

AlienUFO said:
OK, what I want is a direct and simple answer: What is the result when photon passing through very high EM field?
A photon does not pass through a very high EM field. Photons are the EM field, meaning that they are the quanta of vibrating EM fields. What i CAN tell you is that photons do not interact with photons in lowest order perturbation theory.

marlon

Oh... ok...

marlon said:
A photon does not pass through a very high EM field.

marlon

The photon don't pass through high EM field? I don't understand. You mean photon undergoes some different traveling method within high EM field?

AlienUFO said:
The photon don't pass through high EM field? I don't understand. You mean photon undergoes some different traveling method within high EM field?
No not "some different travelling", i mean NO TRAVELLING AT ALL.

Actually, you ask an invalid question. Why ? Because it violates one of the foundations of QM. The particle wave duality states that you can EITHER use the particle picture (photons) OR the wavelike picture (EM waves which correspond to vibrating EM fields) but NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. You are doing the latter because you use both photons and EM fields at the same time. So, either we talk about photons (WHICH DO NOT MUTUALLY INTERACT, except indirectly through hadronization) or we talk about EM fields.

marlon

edit : hadronization

Last edited:
AlienUFO said:

How HIGH of a field? Would 80 MV/m do?

Zz.

marlon said:
No not "some different travelling", i mean NO TRAVELLING AT ALL.

Actually, you ask an invalid question. Why ? Because it violates one of the foundations of QM. The particle wave duality states that you can EITHER use the particle picture (photons) OR the wavelike picture (EM waves which correspond to vibrating EM fields) but NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. You are doing the latter because you use both photons and EM fields at the same time. So, either we talk about photons (WHICH DO NOT MUTUALLY INTERACT, except indirectly through hadronization) or we talk about EM fields.

marlon

edit : hadronization

Why? You mean I cannot even started to shoot a real photon into the field?

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

what is the matter? at this high value will make something different?

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
That's too weak for anything noticable I suppose.:smile:
Maybe 80 EV/m would do,but I don't know...
How about the same question but regarding "strong" magnetic fields?:confused:
Way higher spatial densities of energy are possible to realize and tame in a lab by magnetic fields than by electric fields.

AlienUFO said:
what is the matter? at this high value will make something different?

I don't know, I am asking you since you just said "high". This is vague and ambiguous. Remember, YOU were the one who asked this, and presumably, there was some REASON for you to be asking such a question, then I'm asking you what do you mean by "high". It would be silly for ME to be the one defining what YOU mean by "high field", wouldn't it?

Zz.

AlienUFO said:
Why? You mean I cannot even started to shoot a real photon into the field?
No, i mean that you cannot be talking about photons and EM fields AT THE SAME TIME. This violates QM.

marlon

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and behaves like both a particle and a wave.

2. How does a highly charged field affect a photon?

A highly charged field can cause a photon to experience a change in its direction, speed, or energy due to the interaction between the photon and the electric field of the charged particles.

3. Can a photon be absorbed by a highly charged field?

Yes, a photon can be absorbed by a highly charged field if the energy of the photon matches the energy needed to excite the charged particles in the field.

4. What happens to a photon after passing through a highly charged field?

The behavior of a photon after passing through a highly charged field depends on the strength of the field and the energy of the photon. It may continue on its path with no change, scatter in a new direction, or be absorbed by the charged particles in the field.

5. Can a highly charged field change the speed of light?

Yes, a highly charged field can affect the speed of light due to the interaction between the photon and the electric field. However, this effect is usually very small and only noticeable in extreme conditions.