What happened to the negative sign?

In summary, the negative sign is a symbol used in mathematics to indicate a negative number or a subtraction operation. It may be missing or interpreted differently in certain situations, which can significantly impact calculations and lead to incorrect results. While it is usually represented by a short horizontal line above the number, some programming languages and computer systems may use alternative symbols. To avoid confusion, it is important to follow the rules of mathematical operations and pay attention to the use of parentheses and other symbols.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-22_5-10-56.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would become d/dx(-kAc*dT/dx)+hp(T-T)=0 instead of where the equation in the red box? I don't see how are they equivalent [/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-22_5-10-56.png
    upload_2018-4-22_5-10-56.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 667
Physics news on Phys.org
EastWindBreaks said:
I don't see how are they equivalent
Compare the signs on the hp() terms.

Likes EastWindBreaks
haruspex said:
Compare the signs on the hp() terms.
silly me, thank you!

What happened to the negative sign?

The negative sign is used in mathematics to indicate a negative number or a subtraction operation. It is usually written as a short horizontal line above the number. However, in some cases, the negative sign may be missing or interpreted differently.

Why is the negative sign sometimes missing?

The negative sign may be missing in certain situations due to its usage in different mathematical operations. For example, when using the order of operations, the negative sign may be omitted if it is already implied by the operation being performed.

How does the missing negative sign affect calculations?

The missing negative sign can significantly impact calculations and lead to incorrect results. It is essential to pay attention to the placement and usage of the negative sign in mathematical expressions to avoid errors.

Can the negative sign be replaced with other symbols?

In mathematics, the negative sign is usually the standard symbol used to indicate a negative number. However, some programming languages and computer systems may use alternative symbols, such as a tilde (~) or a minus sign (-), to represent negative values.

How can I avoid confusion with the negative sign?

To avoid confusion with the negative sign, it is crucial to follow the rules of mathematical operations and pay attention to the use of parentheses and other symbols. It is also helpful to double-check the placement of the negative sign when performing calculations manually or using a calculator.