What happens if a motor is not supplied required amps?

In summary: Doing so would result in the current being split equally between the two motors and potentially frying them both. If you are attaching the motors to separate outputs, the current will be only 11.5 amps per motor.
MHassaan
Hi everyone,

I am in a situation where I need to run two 3000RPM, 24V, 15A DC motors from one 24V, 23A switching DC power supply, rated at 600W.

Firstly, the power supply has three sets of DC outputs and one set of AC inputs. By sets I mean one positive and one negative. This means I can power three different circuits from it. What I am confused about is how much power each of the motors can receive if they are connected to separate ports. Will I get 24V, 23A at each port? Or will the voltage be same but the current shared across the motors?

The second thing is, if each motor receives only half the current (11.5 amps), and 24V, what effect will that have on the performance of the motors? Will it decrease their max RPM or torque or both, and by estimated how much?

I am a complete beginner in electrical engineering so please go easy on me...
Thank you very much for all your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll just take some guesses for fun...I have learned to enjoy being wrong. Take this advice with a grain of salt and wait till great minds prevail. Still, just for fun...

Have you tested the 4 outputs with a volt meter...or at least a small light bulb?

Does it have voltage at each port all the time...or only one at a time as "switched" implies?

If it is only one at a time, you should be able to still run two motors in parallel. AC motors hate drops in voltage...but a DC motor should run at just slightly less RPM and torque. Why do I say this? Because I remember playing with tyco trains as a youngster and watching the train speed change with the change in the throttle...voltage I presume.

24 volts X 15 amps = 360 watts...X 2 (motors)= 720 watts. 600/720 = 83%

But I think you might burn up your power supply if you are constantly running it maxed out at 600 watts all the time.
You can safely run one motor off of it...I think everyone will agree with that.

Last edited:
MHassaan said:
Hi everyone,

I am in a situation where I need to run two 3000RPM, 24V, 15A DC motors from one 24V, 23A switching DC power supply, rated at 600W.

Firstly, the power supply has three sets of DC outputs and one set of AC inputs. By sets I mean one positive and one negative. This means I can power three different circuits from it. What I am confused about is how much power each of the motors can receive if they are connected to separate ports. Will I get 24V, 23A at each port? Or will the voltage be same but the current shared across the motors?
You really should contact your suppler about this question. You risk damaging the power supply and possibly the motor if you are wrong about how the power supply works. Find the manufacturer on the tag attached to the power supply and look it up on the internet to get the phone number. When you call ask for technical assistance about [model number] power supply.

The second thing is, if each motor receives only half the current (11.5 amps), and 24V, what effect will that have on the performance of the motors? Will it decrease their max RPM or torque or both, and by estimated how much?
The max RPM is determined by the voltage across the motor and the current determines the torque.

As long as the load doesn't require more torque or current than the power supply can deliver you should be alright. What happens when you exceed the max current of the power supply depends on the power supply. It may blow a fuse or it may lower the voltage, and therefore the speed of the motor until its current is sufficient to drive the motor at a lower speed. If that speed is zero RPM or a stalled motor, the motor will heat up and you could destroy the motor. If the power supply has no internal protection it could also blow the transistors in the supply.

Last edited:

Your 24 v, 23 A is 552 W - 600 W is the nominal rating.

If the three DC outputs do not have separate ratings of volts, amps, watts then they are most likely not separate circuits, but internally connected and the outputs are just supplied to you for your convenience. Check the ratings tag on a standard swithced PC power supply to compare.

Judging from all your answers, it is clearly not a good idea to attach the two motors at once to this power supply.

Does anyone know of a power supply with a greater amp rating but the same voltage?

What happens if a motor is not supplied required amps?

If a motor is not supplied with the required amps, it may not function properly or at all. This can result in decreased performance, overheating, and potential damage to the motor.

What determines the required amps for a motor?

The required amps for a motor is determined by its design and specifications, including the voltage and power rating. It is important to ensure that the power supply can provide the necessary amps for the motor to operate correctly.

Can using too many or too few amps damage a motor?

Yes, using too many or too few amps can damage a motor. If the motor is supplied with too few amps, it may not have enough power to operate and can overheat. On the other hand, if it is supplied with too many amps, it can overload the motor and cause damage.

How can I ensure that a motor is supplied with the required amps?

To ensure that a motor is supplied with the required amps, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's specifications. This includes using the correct power supply and making sure the wiring and connections are properly sized and rated for the motor.

What are the consequences of not supplying the required amps to a motor in the long term?

The consequences of not supplying the required amps to a motor in the long term can include decreased lifespan, decreased efficiency, and potential failure of the motor. It is important to always supply the correct amps to ensure the motor's optimal performance and longevity.