What happens to electric field near and away from a neutral

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a neutral point between two opposite charges and the behavior of electric field lines near and away from this point. The existence of a neutral point is confirmed, and the effects of moving away from this point are discussed.
Elle885
What happens to the electric field lines near and away from a neutral point. The neutral point of two opposite charges.
(q1 and -q2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to phrase your question better. For any point in space, I can always imagine an infinite number of distant pairs of charges q1 q2 for which that point is the neutral point.

anorlunda said:
I think you need to phrase your question better. For any point in space, I can always imagine an infinite number of distant pairs of charges q1 q2 for which that point is the neutral point.
The situation is that there are two point charges in vacuum and they have a neutral point and all three are collinear. What would happen to the electric field around that neutral point.

Can you even have a neutral point with 2 oppositely charged particles?

OP (Elle885)

What do you call "neutral point" here?

nasu said:
OP (Elle885)

What do you call "neutral point" here?
It is the point on which if u put a test charge it would be in equilibrium i.e. the attractive and repulsive forces would balance each other.

Well, then the field is zero at this point. For two opposite charges you have such points only if they have different magnitudes.
What happens when you go away form such a point depends on how you do it. In what direction you move away.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that exists around charged particles. It describes the strength and direction of the force that would be exerted on a charged particle placed in that field.

2. Why does an electric field exist around charged particles?

Electric charges create electric fields because they exert a force on other charged particles. Similar charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. This force is transmitted through the electric field.

3. What happens to the electric field near a neutral object?

Near a neutral object, the electric field is generally weak and uniform. This is because the positive and negative charges within the object cancel each other out, resulting in a net neutral charge. Therefore, the electric field is not strong enough to exert a significant force on other charged particles.

4. What happens to the electric field away from a neutral object?

Away from a neutral object, the electric field is stronger and can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charge of the object. The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the object increases, following an inverse square law.

5. Can the electric field around a neutral object be affected?

Yes, the electric field around a neutral object can be affected by other charged objects nearby. If a charged object is brought close to a neutral object, the electric field around the neutral object will be distorted and may become non-uniform. This is because the charges within the neutral object will experience a force from the charged object and may rearrange themselves accordingly.