Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to electric field near and away from a neutral

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    What happens to the electric field lines near and away from a neutral point. The neutral point of two opposite charges.
    (q1 and -q2)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you need to phrase your question better. For any point in space, I can always imagine an infinite number of distant pairs of charges q1 q2 for which that point is the neutral point.

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    The situation is that there are two point charges in vaccum and they have a neutral point and all three are collinear. What would happen to the electric field around that neutral point.

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Can you even have a neutral point with 2 oppositely charged particles?

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

7. Mar 17, 2015 #6
    OP (Elle885)

What do you call "neutral point" here?

8. Mar 17, 2015 #7
    It is the point on which if u put a test charge it would be in equilibrium i.e. the attractive and repulsive forces would balance each other.

9. Mar 20, 2015 #8
    Well, then the field is zero at this point. For two opposite charges you have such points only if they have different magnitudes.
    What happens when you go away form such a point depends on how you do it. In what direction you move away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook