1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to kinetic energy

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    dear all
    i really have a foolish question to u all.
    heat=i.e+p[tex]\Delta[/tex]v.
    now during latent heat of fusion what happens?
    I mean at that point no temperature is increasd.but molecules gain rotational and translational energy as solid turns to liquid..how it is possible,please explain me in details.what happens to internal energy,as I know i.e=k.e+p.e.potential energy decreases as distance between them increases,but at melting point k.e cannot increase as temp. remain constant,but then again internal energy cannot also decrease duroing m.p.i m in atotally confused state.pls help….

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

i got everything of u.but frm basic physics p.e=GMm/r.when intramoleculas space increases how p.e increases??????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?