Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What happens to kinetic energy

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    dear all
    i really have a foolish question to u all.
    heat=i.e+p[tex]\Delta[/tex]v.
    now during latent heat of fusion what happens?
    I mean at that point no temperature is increasd.but molecules gain rotational and translational energy as solid turns to liquid..how it is possible,please explain me in details.what happens to internal energy,as I know i.e=k.e+p.e.potential energy decreases as distance between them increases,but at melting point k.e cannot increase as temp. remain constant,but then again internal energy cannot also decrease duroing m.p.i m in atotally confused state.pls help….

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

i got everything of u.but frm basic physics p.e=GMm/r.when intramoleculas space increases how p.e increases??????

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook