What Happens to Kinetic Energy During Latent Heat of Fusion?

In summary, the question is about the change in internal energy during the latent heat of fusion process. The student is confused about how potential energy increases when the distance between molecules increases. The answer is that during heating, the latent heat increases the potential energy while keeping the same average molecular kinetic energy and a small amount of external work is done.
ghazni

Homework Statement

dear all
i really have a foolish question to u all.
heat=i.e+p[tex]\Delta[/tex]v.
now during latent heat of fusion what happens?
I mean at that point no temperature is increasd.but molecules gain rotational and translational energy as solid turns to liquid..how it is possible,please explain me in details.what happens to internal energy,as I know i.e=k.e+p.e.potential energy decreases as distance between them increases,but at melting point k.e cannot increase as temp. remain constant,but then again internal energy cannot also decrease duroing m.p.i m in atotally confused state.pls help….

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

During the heating, the latent heat increases the p.e. on changing from ordered to disordered phase while keeping the same average molecular k.e. and Does a small amount of external work

i got everything of u.but frm basic physics p.e=GMm/r.when intramoleculas space increases how p.e increases?

FAQ: What Happens to Kinetic Energy During Latent Heat of Fusion?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that can be transferred to other objects or transformed into other types of energy.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What happens to kinetic energy when an object slows down?

When an object slows down, its kinetic energy decreases. This energy is either transferred to other objects or is transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a moving object collides with another object, some of its kinetic energy is converted into heat or sound energy. Additionally, kinetic energy can be harnessed and converted into electrical energy through processes such as generators in power plants.

What happens to kinetic energy at rest?

When an object is at rest, it has no kinetic energy. However, it may still possess potential energy, which is the energy an object has due to its position or state. For example, a pendulum at rest has potential energy due to its height above the ground.

Back