What happens to the energy in case of destructive interference ?

In summary, destructive interference occurs when two waves with different amplitudes come into contact with each other. The energy is dissipated in different ways depending on the amplitude of the waves. In the case of sound, the energy is dissipated as heat. In the case of water waves, the energy is dissipated as sound. In the case of photons, the energy is dissipated as particles.
jonnyk
What happens to the energy in case of "destructive interference"?

Hi everyone,

I'll mention a few cases here.

1) In case of sound suppose we have two speakers. One gives off a certain sound and the other speaker gives off the exact inverted phase of the other speaker's sound, both with the samer power. No sound will be heard BUT my qs now where does the energy go? I suspect heat but am not sure.

2) Two water waves with exact opposite phases come across each other. Again they cancel each other out and the water is still. BUT where does the energy go here? Again heat or something else?

3) Two photons as far as I am aware would form a pair of elementary particles BUT here I'd like to know what happens if two photons of the SAME PHASE come together i.e. wht happens in case of CONstructive interference in case of photons? Does it turn into one single photon of higher energy?

Thankyou very much!

Science news on Phys.org

Destructive interference only occurs at a set of points, not everywhere. Constructive interference also occurs at a set of points, not everywhere. When you add up the total energy, you'll see that it is conserved.

@Vanadium

Vanadium 50 said:
Destructive interference only occurs at a set of points, not everywhere. Constructive interference also occurs at a set of points, not everywhere. When you add up the total energy, you'll see that it is conserved.

JK- In my first example if we have two loudpeakers, one producing the sound and the other the anti sound of euqal amounts and both are switched on at say 500 Watts, no sound will be heard or will it? If not what happens to the energy in that case? Thanks.

At some points in the room, the intensity of the sound (energy per volume) will be twice what it would have been without the interference. At other points the intensity will be zero. The total energy integrated over the entire room will be the same as it would have been without interference.

@jtbell

jtbell said:
At some points in the room, the intensity of the sound (energy per volume) will be twice what it would have been without the interference. At other points the intensity will be zero. The total energy integrated over the entire room will be the same as it would have been without interference.

JK- AHA so the sound is not totally canceled out with a phase inverter/anti sound device. BUT then i wonder why not use a device which turns the sound completely into heat, which is way less disturbing at tht power rate to the environment, instead of more disturbing sound at other places? Thanks.

Acoustic padding convert sound to heat but they are very porous so they are ill-suited for outdoor use. Large scale use will also make them extreme fire hazard.

@crapworks

crapworks said:
Acoustic padding convert sound to heat but they are very porous so they are ill-suited for outdoor use. Large scale use will also make them extreme fire hazard.

JK- Thanks. :smile:

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and their combined amplitudes become smaller, resulting in a decrease in overall energy. This is due to the waves being out of phase with each other, meaning their peaks and troughs align and cancel each other out.

What happens to the energy during destructive interference?

The energy in the system during destructive interference does not disappear, but rather it is redistributed. The energy is still present in the form of the original waves, but due to their out-of-phase nature, they cancel each other out and appear to have a lower amplitude.

Can energy be created or destroyed during destructive interference?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed during destructive interference. It can only be redistributed or cancelled out by the overlapping waves.

How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Destructive interference and constructive interference are two opposite phenomena. While destructive interference results in a decrease in overall energy, constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and their combined amplitudes become larger, resulting in an increase in overall energy.

What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

Destructive interference can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as in noise-cancelling headphones, where sound waves from the external environment are cancelled out by a second set of waves with the same frequency and amplitude but opposite phase. It also occurs in ocean waves, where waves from different sources meet and cancel each other out, resulting in calm waters in certain areas.