What happens when a capacitor is over voltage?

In summary, voltage ratings on capacitors indicate the lowest voltage that can permanently destroy the capacitor. This means that even if the voltage is removed, the capacitor will no longer work. Air spaced capacitors may not be destroyed by high voltage, but they can arc over. In this case, a 5.5V capacitor may not be suitable for use with a DTR line that can carry up to +/-15 volts. It is important to use a capacitor with a higher voltage rating to avoid potential damage to other components.
Wetmelon
I see voltage ratings on capacitors, but I don't know what they mean. Does the cap break down above the voltage?

In application, I have a pair of .047uF caps rated for 5.5V. They are connected to DTR and GND on a D-SUB9 connector for programming a uC. I'm not sure what voltage that pin has, though.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage ratings on capacitors give the lowest voltage that may destroy the capacitor. This means that the capacitor is permanently destroyed as a capacitor, even if the voltage is removed. It may test as a short circuit, or it may break down at a lower voltage next time the capacitor is used.

Air spaced capacitors are usually not destroyed by high voltage but will arc over if the voltage is high enough. Removal of the voltage is sufficient to restore the capacitor to full capability.A 5.5 volt capacitor would be unusual. The DTR line from a computer's serial port may carry up to +15 Volts or -15 volts, so the capacitor should be rated at at least 25 volts. This depends on the circuit, of course, and it may already have measures to make a low voltage capacitor safe.

Ok. Makes sense. The caps aren't soldered into anything, they are simply in a solderless breadboard. The circuit is attached. They seem to be "BC 473" (ceramic?) caps, yellow case. I did a quick google and I saw 5.5V ratings...

I guess I should get what I really need, huh?

Circuit here. D-sub9 is the pinout in the top left.

Yes, a higher voltage capacitor will cost a bit more but nothing compared with the grief of having one fail.

A dud capacitor can cause many $$ worth of destruction of other components.

1. What is over voltage in a capacitor?

Over voltage in a capacitor occurs when the voltage applied to the capacitor exceeds its rated voltage. This can happen due to a power surge or other external factors.

2. What happens to a capacitor when it is over voltage?

When a capacitor is over voltage, it can lead to the breakdown of the dielectric material and cause it to fail. This can result in a short circuit or damage to the capacitor.

3. How does an over voltage capacitor affect circuit performance?

An over voltage capacitor can cause a circuit to malfunction or fail altogether. It can also cause voltage spikes and affect the overall stability and reliability of the circuit.

4. Can an over voltage capacitor be repaired?

In most cases, an over voltage capacitor cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Attempting to repair it may result in further damage to the capacitor or the circuit it is a part of.

5. How can I prevent over voltage in a capacitor?

To prevent over voltage in a capacitor, you can use a voltage regulator or other protective devices in the circuit. It is also important to use capacitors with the correct voltage rating and to avoid exposing them to voltage spikes or surges.