1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens when an explosion begins

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    There is a saying that two kind of waves are generated when an explosion happens. one moves slow which can carry the object away .when someone fires with a pistol, the bullet is pushed by this kind of wave . the other is different , it move fast ,maybe at 8000m/s.
    I wondered how this is possible. Can anyone explained it in a understanding way?
    I only knows the basics about physics. and thanks for a little reference , for example ,some terminology which i can use to look up in wikepedia.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Adiabatic heating of the air leads to an increase in the speed of successive waves that follow each other leading to a sharp edge and lumping of waves. These tend to constitute what are called shock waves.So you can look up shock waves, I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook