What has happened to Huffington Post?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, HP used to be a reliable source of news, but AOL has ruined it by turning it into a crappy tabloid.
turbo
Gold Member
Once upon a time, HP was a place where you could pop into see what was up in current affairs and politics. They collected stories from WSJ, NYT, WaPo, and other sources and supplemented those with editorials. Now that AOL has taken over the site, there is an endless stream of "this wanna-be-famous-bimbo" wore short shorts or a sheer dress... It's so petty. I don't care about what any of the Kardashians did yesterday. That's not news - it is shameless self-promotion, and HP gets paid to run it.

So sad to see HP turned into a crappy tabloid.

Is there another news site on the horizon? I'd sure like to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
HP is suffering from lack of any good editorialship. If you squint it looks like it's just a blog hosting site with most consistent design amongst the blogs, that's why you get long uninformed rants on any topic. I lost all respect when they started posting intelligent design rubbish.

turbo said:
So sad to see HP turned into a crappy tabloid.
There is probably more ad revenue in being a crappy tabloid, which requires little effort.

Astronuc said:
There is probably more ad revenue in being a crappy tabloid, which requires little effort.
Unfortunately, that might be true. They run a lot of stuff about bimbos that appear to be nothing more than press-agent releases. That's not news. I really don't care if Miley wore short-shorts with her cheeks peeking out or if some busty celebrity had a "wardrobe malfunction" or was teasing the photographers with a really sheer dress. AOL has really trashed that site.

Last edited:
HP had become a decent blog site, now it's just another trashy place to blog.

I dislike their poorly thought out articles that have incorrect information and opinions with agenda, and they are generally written to incite controversy or to stir people's emotions, often with multiple stereotypes in 1 article. They often seem to be written by people posing as experts, when in fact they know next to nothing. I swear that sometimes I think the extent of their knowledge and research on a topic they write about is a google search.

Last year the mayor of NY had 26 reporters arrested in one day to prevent them from covering Occupy Wall Street and nothing happened. Before that a Florida court decided Fox news was entitled to fire reporters for refusing to lie about even egregious public health hazards. If you ask me these days anyone in journalism with any semblance of a brain and personal integrity has found a new career. Of course, many of those who are left are destined to go into politics.

What has happened to Huffington Post?

The Huffington Post, also known as HuffPost, was founded in 2005 by Arianna Huffington, Kenneth Lerer, and Jonah Peretti. In 2011, it was acquired by AOL for $315 million and later became a part of Verizon Media Group in 2015. In 2021, HuffPost was acquired by BuzzFeed through a partnership with Verizon Media Group.

Why did Verizon sell Huffington Post?

Verizon sold HuffPost as a part of their strategic decision to focus on their core businesses and streamline their portfolio. The sale also allows Verizon to focus on their media and advertising business, while still maintaining a partnership with HuffPost through a minority stake in BuzzFeed.

Is Huffington Post still a reliable news source?

HuffPost continues to maintain its journalistic integrity and uphold its reputation as a reliable news source. The acquisition by BuzzFeed has not affected the quality of their reporting, and they continue to publish well-researched and fact-checked articles.

Has the acquisition by BuzzFeed changed Huffington Post's editorial stance?

HuffPost maintains its independent editorial stance and continues to publish a wide range of perspectives on various topics. The acquisition by BuzzFeed has not altered their editorial stance or impacted the content they publish.

What changes can we expect to see in Huffington Post under BuzzFeed's ownership?

The acquisition by BuzzFeed is still in its early stages, so it is unclear what changes may occur in Huffington Post's operations. However, BuzzFeed has stated that they plan to keep HuffPost as a separate brand and maintain its editorial independence. They also plan to invest in growing HuffPost's audience and expanding its coverage.

Back