What If C Varies: Exploring Changes to Light & Universe

• Thread starter spidey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences and implications of a variation in the speed of light. If "c" were to vary, it would affect the constants and stability of atoms, causing uncertainty and unpredictability in the universe. However, special relativity relies on the constant speed of light and would not be a valid model if "c" were different for different observers. The conversation also touches on how we measure and perceive the value of physical quantities and the importance of considering units and references. Several sources and studies are mentioned for further exploration.
spidey
So light has constant velocity..what if C varies as per galilean relativity..
What will happen?
Can't we explain something(experiments or observations) if that happens?
Will there be any change in our normal life? since we use light to see...
Can't we come to E=mc2?
Any change in our view of universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll speculate on some items...maybe a theoretically correct answer will be posted...

If the speed of light were different early in the universe from present we might not see many effects, depending on the magnitude of the difference. I believe some suspect it might have varied in the distant past. There may be evidence the fine structure contant has varied ever so slightly.

If "c" were currently varying to any observable degree, casuality would also vary...space and time might become unpredictable... we'd be even harder pressed to tell before and after if we did not know how fast the information was transmitted...uncertainty would seem to increase dramatically...much if not all would be more unpredictable...

I think other constants would also vary ruining atomic stability...think about electrons interactions with nuclei...via electromagnetic fields...if the speed changed, the field would change and EMF forces would vary...I guess metals, for example, might become slightly unstable...weaker then stronger...rest energy mc^2 would also vary screwing up energy conservation in interactions...likely the universe would not exist if it were an observable magnitude...electricity might surge thru transmission lines...

i would suggest that you ask yourself exactly what the meaning of a variation of a dimensionful constant would be. how would we measure such a variation? or even perceive it? ultimately, we measure only dimensionless quantities usually as the ratio of a dimensionful quantity relative to some standard or unit of the same dimension.

check out Carlip: "Have physical constants changed with time?"

and

Duff: "Comment on time-variation of fundamental constants", hep-th/0208093 (2004)

Duff, Okun, and Veneziano: "Trialogue on the number of fundamental constants", JHEP 203 23 (2002), physics/0110060

"for all observers, c is constant"..so what if c is different for different observers..it didnt mean the value of c changes from past to future Or about dimensionless constants...i know for c,if we change the units, we will get different value..sorry for not being elaborative...

If c is different for different observers, then special relativity would not be a good model of our world. I've heard that two instances where special relativity can be seen in "everyday" life are magnetic fields due to Lorentz contraction of charges moving in a wire, and the colour of gold.

atyy said:
...magnetic fields due to Lorentz contraction of charges moving in a wire...
Care to expand?

spidey said:
"for all observers, c is constant"..so what if c is different for different observers..it didnt mean the value of c changes from past to future Or about dimensionless constants...i know for c,if we change the units, we will get different value..sorry for not being elaborative...

spidey, please ask yourself "how does one get a different value?" be very specific and careful about the answer. consider how we measure or perceive the quantitative value of any physical quantity. consider units, references, standards, and the definitions of such.

1. What does "C" stand for in this context?

In this context, "C" stands for the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in physics.

2. How does changing the speed of light affect the universe?

Changing the speed of light would have a significant impact on the universe, as it would alter the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of matter and energy. It could potentially lead to changes in the structure of galaxies, the formation and evolution of stars, and even the existence of life.

3. Can the speed of light actually vary?

According to current scientific understanding, the speed of light is a constant and cannot vary. It is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity and has been experimentally measured to be the same in all inertial reference frames.

4. What would happen if the speed of light were infinite?

If the speed of light were infinite, it would mean that there is no limit to how fast objects can travel. This could potentially lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in the laws of physics, as well as a very different universe than the one we observe.

5. Are there any theories or hypotheses about changes to the speed of light?

There are some alternative theories and hypotheses that suggest the speed of light may have varied in the past or could vary in certain circumstances. These ideas are still being explored and studied by scientists, but they are not widely accepted in the scientific community and require further evidence and research.