What if gap is irregular in capacitor

In summary, the voltage across a capacitor is the product of capacitance and the electric field between the plates.
Gunmo
I don't have clear concept on voltage. I am a Mechanical guy.
If the gap is irregular in large capacitor, how voltage is derived in theory. Using software I can divide the surface into many pieces and calculate voltage of individual small piece.

I attached my problem.

Attachments

• voltage question.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 181
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Gunmo,

Yes, this is a kind of 'lots of capacities in parallel'.
For an ideal conductor, all the material is at the same voltage: if not, then the potential difference would let the charge carriers move until the potential (voltage) is equal everywhere.

So, to find capacitance of the device, I need to divide the area with small element and C = C1 + C2 + C3...

The electric field in a capacitor is between its plates.
Since the plates are conductive there can be no field in the direction along their length,
So,
voltage between the plates at any point along their length must be the same, as BvU observed earlier.

But -

That's an interesting example you posed.

Be aware that in deforming the structure work was done while changing the distance between the electrodes.
That's because the opposite charges on the electrodes attract one another.
So when you deformed the plates the Force X Distance product of [ that Coulombic attractive force X distance moved ] has units of work.
That work shows up as a change in voltage across the capacitor.

Charge Q on a capacitor = Capacitance X Voltage
You didn't change Q but you did change Capacitance,
and their ratio is voltage.

Just another little quirk of the universe. Good for "electrical trivial pursuits" parlor games, but don't be surprised if you find it in a physics quiz .

It's good to get your thinking oriented early so that you focus not so much on the plates of a capacitor but on what's in between them.
Watch the electrometer here (about 1:30) indicate increasing voltage as capacitor plates are separated.

Likes dlgoff and BvU

1. What causes the gap to be irregular in a capacitor?

There are several factors that can contribute to an irregular gap in a capacitor. The most common reasons include manufacturing defects, physical damage, and changes in temperature or humidity.

2. How does an irregular gap affect the performance of a capacitor?

An irregular gap can significantly impact the performance of a capacitor. It can lead to an increase in parasitic capacitance, which reduces the overall capacitance and can cause a decrease in the capacitor's ability to store and release charge.

3. Can an irregular gap in a capacitor be repaired?

In most cases, an irregular gap in a capacitor cannot be repaired. It is typically recommended to replace the capacitor with a new one to ensure proper functioning and avoid any potential safety hazards.

4. How can I prevent an irregular gap from occurring in my capacitors?

To prevent an irregular gap in a capacitor, it is essential to handle and store them properly. Avoid applying excessive force or pressure to the capacitor during installation, and store them in a cool, dry place to prevent any damage from temperature or humidity changes.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with an irregular gap in a capacitor?

An irregular gap in a capacitor can be a potential safety hazard, especially if it is caused by physical damage. It can lead to short circuits, overheating, and even explosions. Therefore, it is crucial to regularly inspect and replace any capacitors with an irregular gap to ensure safety.