What impression does my website give of me? [for PhD applications]

In summary, the speaker is planning to send informal emails inquiring about PhD positions within the next few weeks. They are going to keep these emails short and include a sentence about their interest in programming and drawing. The website mentioned, www.airlich.de, showcases their programs and artistic endeavors. The speaker is also seeking advice on improving the website and plans to add a section about themselves, as well as translate some parts from German to English. The conversation also includes a suggestion to highlight the double pendulum visualization on the website and attach a CV as a PDF in the email. However, one person advises against the sentence about drawing and suggests tuning it to focus on math and science. They also mention it may be premature to send out these emails and
keenPenguin
Hey guys,

I am running a homepage showing programs I created, as well as some artistic endeavors: www.airlich.de

Within the next couple of weeks, I intend to write many emails asking informally about the availability of PhD positions. I am going to keep these emails short and won't cludder them with CVs or long texts (they can have that if they ask for it). But what I am going to add is some sentence like "I like programming and drawing the human figure, www.airlich.de might give some impressions".

Could you take a look at that website and tell me what impressions you get from it?
Do you have any advice on what should definitely be improved?

Here's what I think:

* The design is clear and readable.
* I definitely have to add a section about myself, with some short text and a picture.
* Unfortunately, some parts are still written in German, whereas newer stuff is in English. Although it's somewhat inconsistent it's not really worth the trouble of translating.

What do you think? I'd be glad to hear your views.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice website. Do you already have your PhD, or are you applying to study for your PhD? What is your field of specialty, programming?

You may want to tune the first few entries on the home page toward the position that you are applying for, if that is possible.

Thanks berkeman!

No, I don't have a PhD yet, I want to start in Fall 2012. I am interested in General Relativity. But programming and visualising is always helpful.

keenPenguin said:
But what I am going to add is some sentence like "I like programming and drawing the human figure, www.airlich.de might give some impressions".

I don't think any professor would click on the link given that sentence. We don't generally want to have a charcoal nude pop up on our screen... at least at work.

Since you've modified the site (via Berkeman's suggestion) to tune the front page to science/mathy things, tune the sentence also. Maybe even highlight that double-pendulum visualization that won that award. (who doesn't love the double pendulum? I have one of http://store.exploratorium.edu/browse.cfm/pendulum-man/4,710.html" on my fridge.)

Perhaps attach your CV as a pdf in the email.

It might also be premature to be sending this out (depending perhaps on where you're planning on applying, and what field). Our professors generally waited until the selection committee had selected a pool of applicants. Very rarely did they try to influence the process (even less so as time went on and the prestige of the program grew... professors pretty much trusted the committee that some of the new incoming students would interest them). Professors would really limit contact until a student had been accepted... at which point communication about a research position was given the green light ...but that's MY experience (at a large program). Other programs (smaller programs especially) might be different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on your website, it seems like you are a creative and technically skilled individual. The programs and artwork showcased on your website demonstrate your passion and talent in programming and drawing. Your website appears to be well-designed and easy to navigate, which reflects positively on your attention to detail and organization skills.

However, it would be beneficial to add a section about yourself to give a more personal touch and allow potential PhD advisors to get to know you better. Additionally, it would be helpful to have all content in either English or German, rather than a mix of both, to avoid any confusion or inconsistency.

Overall, your website gives a positive impression of your skills and interests, and I think it will be a valuable addition to your PhD application materials. Best of luck in your search for PhD positions!

What impression does my website give of me?

Your website can give a variety of impressions about you, depending on its design, content, and purpose. However, for PhD applications, the following are the most frequently asked questions:

1. Does my website reflect my academic achievements and interests?

Your website should showcase your academic accomplishments, such as publications, research projects, and presentations. It should also demonstrate your passion for your field of study through blog posts, personal statements, and other relevant content.

2. Is my website professional and well-designed?

A professional and well-designed website can convey a positive impression of you to potential PhD advisors. Make sure your website has a clean and organized layout, easy navigation, and high-quality images. Avoid clutter and make sure the design is appropriate for your field of study.

3. Does my website highlight my skills and qualifications?

Your website should highlight your relevant skills and qualifications, such as technical skills, language proficiency, and leadership experience. This can be done through a dedicated section or by incorporating them into your content.

4. Does my website provide a clear picture of my research interests?

Your website should clearly outline your research interests and goals. This can be done through a research statement, a list of research projects, or a section dedicated to your research interests. Make sure your interests align with the PhD program you are applying to.

5. Is my website up-to-date and regularly maintained?

It is important to regularly update and maintain your website to keep it current and relevant. Make sure your contact information, CV, and other important details are up-to-date. Additionally, regularly adding new content, such as blog posts or research updates, can demonstrate your dedication to your field of study.