1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a lemma?

1. Dec 17, 2009 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

What is a lemma?

I hear people talking about "lemmas" all the time. A great example is the math joke that ends with the devil saying "But I found this really interesting lemma..." This joke would likely be much funnier to me if I knew what a lemma (or Riemann's hypothesis, but if you want to, I don't necessarily need to know that) is.

All help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Lemmas

A lemma is a statement you can prove so that you can prove something else. The only reason we don't call them theorems is that they are typically aren't interesting enough to "deserve" that title.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. Dec 18, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You might also want to note "corrollary". A corrollary is a statement that is not important enough be called a "theorem" in its own right but follows easily from a given theorem.

"Lemmas" are used to prove a theorem so are proved before the theorem. "Corrollaries" are proved from the theorem an so are proved after the theorem.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Dec 18, 2009 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Thanks for the help.

6. Dec 18, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There are SOME lemmas, though, that have shown themselves to be far more useful than the theorem originally sought to be proven by the aid of that lemma..

Zorn's lemma, for example.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook