Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a (linear) functional?

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    Hey all,

I have been reading up on Green Functions and I stumbled upon the term "linear functional". I know the properties of the linear operator, but i can't really grasp what a functional does.

In my notes it says that it indicates a linear function whose domain is a function space, and that is maps a function to its value at a point, such that:

[tex]L_ξ=u(ξ)[/tex]

Can someone clarify what this means? I don't understand the qualitative aspect, i.e. what it actually "does". Is it just a way to talk about the operation of going from the function domain space to its value space? What is the added value of using it instead of saying X->Y?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's just some terminology that occurs a lot.

For example, let [itex]\mathcal{C}(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{R})[/itex] be the continuous functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Then your functional is the same as saying (for example)

[tex]\mathcal{C}(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{R})\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:f\rightarrow f(0)[/tex]

(where f(0) can be replaced by f(2) or f(-10) or whatever).

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

I think I understand. I suppose though that by using the functional we can can actually discuss about the properties of the operation in a way not possible (?) by the notation you used. For instance, I am reading this in the context of generalized functions and my notes say that the functional:

[tex]L_g:C^0[a,b]->R[/tex]

where g is a fixed continuous function, is not always valid. It goes on to say that there is no actual delta function [itex]δ_ξ(x)[/itex] such that the identity ([itex]L^2[/itex] inner product):

[tex]L_ξ=<δ_ξ;u>=\int_a^bδ_ξ(x)u(x)dx=u(ξ)[/tex]

holds for every continuous function u(x), and that every (continuous) function defines a linear functional, but not conversely. To be honest I don't really understand why this is the case, but is it the use of a functional that enables us to discuss this issue?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook