What is a (linear) functional?

In summary, the conversation discusses the term "linear functional" in the context of Green Functions. A linear functional is a linear function that maps a function space to its value at a specific point. It is often used in discussing properties of operations and functions in a way that is not possible with traditional notation. The conversation also touches on the limitations of using a functional and the difference between a continuous function and a linear functional.
meldraft
Hey all,

I have been reading up on Green Functions and I stumbled upon the term "linear functional". I know the properties of the linear operator, but i can't really grasp what a functional does.

In my notes it says that it indicates a linear function whose domain is a function space, and that is maps a function to its value at a point, such that:

[tex]L_ξ=u(ξ)[/tex]

Can someone clarify what this means? I don't understand the qualitative aspect, i.e. what it actually "does". Is it just a way to talk about the operation of going from the function domain space to its value space? What is the added value of using it instead of saying X->Y?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just some terminology that occurs a lot.

For example, let [itex]\mathcal{C}(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{R})[/itex] be the continuous functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Then your functional is the same as saying (for example)

[tex]\mathcal{C}(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{R})\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:f\rightarrow f(0)[/tex]

(where f(0) can be replaced by f(2) or f(-10) or whatever).

Thanks for your reply!

I think I understand. I suppose though that by using the functional we can can actually discuss about the properties of the operation in a way not possible (?) by the notation you used. For instance, I am reading this in the context of generalized functions and my notes say that the functional:

[tex]L_g:C^0[a,b]->R[/tex]

where g is a fixed continuous function, is not always valid. It goes on to say that there is no actual delta function [itex]δ_ξ(x)[/itex] such that the identity ([itex]L^2[/itex] inner product):

[tex]L_ξ=<δ_ξ;u>=\int_a^bδ_ξ(x)u(x)dx=u(ξ)[/tex]

holds for every continuous function u(x), and that every (continuous) function defines a linear functional, but not conversely. To be honest I don't really understand why this is the case, but is it the use of a functional that enables us to discuss this issue?

1. What is a linear functional?

A linear functional is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to its underlying field. It is a linear transformation that takes a vector as an input and returns a scalar value as an output. In other words, it is a linear map from a vector space to the real numbers.

2. How is a linear functional different from a regular function?

A regular function takes a scalar or vector as an input and returns a scalar or vector as an output. In contrast, a linear functional takes a vector as an input and returns a scalar as an output. Additionally, a linear functional must satisfy the properties of linearity, such as the preservation of addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What is the purpose of a linear functional in mathematics?

Linear functionals have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra, functional analysis, and optimization. They are used to define and study vector spaces, as well as to solve optimization problems and analyze systems of linear equations.

4. How is a linear functional represented in mathematics?

In mathematics, a linear functional is typically represented using either function notation or bra-ket notation. Function notation uses a lowercase letter (such as f) to represent the functional and an uppercase letter (such as X) to represent the vector input. Bra-ket notation uses the notation '⟨f,X⟩' to represent the functional, where the angle brackets represent the dual space and the comma separates the functional from its vector input.

5. Can a linear functional be nonlinear?

No, a linear functional must satisfy the properties of linearity, which include the preservation of addition and scalar multiplication. If a functional does not satisfy these properties, it is considered nonlinear. However, in some cases, a nonlinear functional can be approximated by a linear functional, making it easier to work with mathematically.