What is a Quark Field? Answers & Explanation

In summary, the quark field is an irreductible representation of the SU(3)-color symmetry group, the SU(6)-flavor symmetry group, or something else.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
What is a quark field??

According to the SM of particles and interractions,a quark (any of 'em) is the quanta of a quark field.So what is a quark field??
Is it:
a)an irreductible representation of the SU(3)-color symmetry group,
b)an irreductible representation of the SU(6)-flavor symmetry group,
c)a [tex] (\frac{1}{2},0) + (0,\frac{1}{2}) [/tex] representation of the full Poincaré group,
d) something else??

Please,give me a correct answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Quarks are a weak doublet : [tex]{\mathbf Q}_i=\left( \begin{array}{c}{\mathbf u}_i\\{\mathbf d}_i\end{array}\right)_L\sim({\mathbf 2},{\mathbf 3}^c)_{+\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] with notation [tex](SU(2)_W,SU(3)_c)_Y[/tex]
In fact, all fermions are represented by a two-component Weyl left-handed field.

That means : [tex]{\mathcal L}=\sum_i {\mathbf Q}_i^\dagger\sigma^\mu{\mathcal D}_\mu{\mathbf Q}_i[/tex] with covariant derivative [tex]\mathcal D}_\mu{\mathbf Q}_i=(\partial_\mu+\imath{\mathbf A}_\mu+\imath{\mathbf W}_\mu+\frac{\imath}{2}yB_\mu){\mathbf Q}_i[/tex] (the factor [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] in front of the hypercharge [tex]y[/tex] is conventional) and [tex]\mathbf W}_\mu=\frac{1}{2}W_\mu^a(x)\tau^a[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf A}_\mu=\frac{1}{2}A_\mu^A(x)\lambda^A[/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] are the Pauli and Gell-Mann matrices for [tex]SU(2)_W[/tex] and [tex]SU(3)_c[/tex]

So I would say :
a) yes
b) no
c) somehow... they do have mass though, so eventually the chiralities mix
d) yes, at least a weak doublet

See for instance :
www.df.unipi.it/~astrumia/SM.pdf

In regards to b)

Its actually a good approximation if you consider there to be an SU(2) flavor symmetry, assuming you just consider u and d quarks.. Sometimes people even include s with su(3). They then model it as having the quark masses generating the symmetry breaking.

However in general the full Su(6) flavor symmetry is badly broken in reality, and just not applicable to QCD.

humanino said:
Quarks are a weak doublet : [tex]{\mathbf Q}_i=\left( \begin{array}{c}{\mathbf u}_i\\{\mathbf d}_i\end{array}\right)_L\sim({\mathbf 2},{\mathbf 3}^c)_{+\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] with notation [tex](SU(2)_W,SU(3)_c)_Y[/tex]
In fact, all fermions are represented by a two-component Weyl left-handed field.

That means : [tex]{\mathcal L}=\sum_i {\mathbf Q}_i^\dagger\sigma^\mu{\mathcal D}_\mu{\mathbf Q}_i[/tex] with covariant derivative [tex]\mathcal D}_\mu{\mathbf Q}_i=(\partial_\mu+\imath{\mathbf A}_\mu+\imath{\mathbf W}_\mu+\frac{\imath}{2}yB_\mu){\mathbf Q}_i[/tex] (the factor [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] in front of the hypercharge [tex]y[/tex] is conventional) and [tex]\mathbf W}_\mu=\frac{1}{2}W_\mu^a(x)\tau^a[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf A}_\mu=\frac{1}{2}A_\mu^A(x)\lambda^A[/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] are the Pauli and Gell-Mann matrices for [tex]SU(2)_W[/tex] and [tex]SU(3)_c[/tex]

So I would say :
a) yes
b) no
c) somehow... they do have mass though, so eventually the chiralities mix
d) yes, at least a weak doublet

See for instance :
www.df.unipi.it/~astrumia/SM.pdf

Thenx...You gave me a definition wrt to their interractions with the particles from the electroweak theory.I meant a definition wrt to the QCD.It doesn't matter,anyway.Wait a minute...Wouldn't it be fair to include interraction of electroweak particles with the quarks in a unifying theory,e.g.SU(5) Georgi-Glashow??

I did put emphasis on the eletroweak part, yet I included the color part. The reason for me to put emphasis on the electroweak part is that we understand it better and what we know is more elaborated on this part. On the color part, we know that quark belong to the fundamental representation of SU(3), antiquarks to the conjugate fundamental, and gluons are in the adjoint representation (for which one has to remove the symmetric "white" combination which otherwise would not be confined). Then, we do not understand much more. As Healfix said, the SU(6) flavor is badly broken (it is not fundamental). On the other hand, the electroweak part is more elaborated. There are several steps related to the construction of the massive vector bosons through the Higgs mechanism, involving the Weinberg angle as well as the Cabibbo mixing one. Then the consistency has to be checked in the cancellation of anomalies (necessary to ensure Ward-Takahashi identities and proofs of renormalizability). Of course, to be honnest I should mention the corresponding construction on the color part, with the Slavnov-Taylor identities. But as far as I understand, those do not put further restrictions on the representations for quarks. On the contrary, they tell us to add ghosts in the Feynman rules for QCD.

To present day, SU(5) unification is not necessary.

So it suffices to include quarks and gluons in the electroweak theory,because the theory itself is renormalizable and gives physically acceptable results...

Related to What is a Quark Field? Answers & Explanation

1. What is a quark field?

A quark field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that describes the behavior and interactions of quarks, which are the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How is a quark field different from other fields?

A quark field is unique because it represents the properties of quarks, which cannot exist independently and can only be observed in combination with other particles. Other fields, such as the electromagnetic field, describe the behavior of particles that can exist independently.

3. What is the role of a quark field in the Standard Model of particle physics?

In the Standard Model, a quark field is one of the fundamental fields that make up the universe. It is responsible for the strong nuclear force, which binds quarks together to form protons and neutrons, and ultimately forms the building blocks of atoms.

4. How does a quark field interact with other fields?

A quark field interacts with other fields through the exchange of particles called gluons. Gluons carry the strong nuclear force and allow quarks to interact and form larger particles.

5. Can a quark field be observed or measured directly?

No, a quark field cannot be observed or measured directly because quarks cannot exist independently. However, scientists can study the effects of quark fields through experiments and mathematical models.