Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is caboshed?

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Who the hell would have a chained monkey on their coat of arms? Does that say something about the family?
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Caboshed would be "front sight" judging the picture. So what does the dictionary say?

a. 1. (Her.) Showing the full face, but nothing of the neck; - said of the head of a beast in armorial bearing.

Memorize that one, you can baffle people with that.
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Gold Member

An aminal well known for--------

Sagacity (Sa*gac"i*ty) (?), n.
    [L. sagacitas. See Sagacious.]

The quality of being sagacious; quickness or acuteness of sense perceptions; keenness of discernment or penetration with soundness of judgment; shrewdness. "Some [brutes] show that nice sagacity of smell." Cowper. "Natural sagacity improved by generous education." V. Knox.

Synonyms -- Penetration; shrewdness; judiciousness. -- Sagacity, Penetration. Penetration enables us to enter into the depths of an abstruse subject, to detect motives, plans, etc. Sagacity adds to penetration a keen, practical judgment, which enables one to guard against the designs of others, and to turn everything to the best possible advantage.
  6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

Gold Member

:biggrin: i will work it into conversation at every oppertunity.
  7. Oct 17, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

Yep, Webster's 1828 dictionary

CABOSHED, n. In heraldry, having the head cut close, so as to have no neck left.

From French caboché, past participle of cabocher, from caboche ‘head’.

(Heraldry) of an animal, shown face-on and cut off immediately behind the ears
    Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caboshed"
  8. Oct 17, 2006 #7
    The reason you don't think it sounds very nice is you have probably heard it being used like this:

One entry found for kibosh.
    Main Entry: ki·bosh
    Pronunciation: 'kI-"bäsh, kI-'; ki-'bäsh
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    : something that serves as a check or stop <put the kibosh on that>
    - kibosh transitive verb

I thought it was purely slang. I'd never seen anyone attempt to spell it before.
  9. Oct 17, 2006 #8

Gold Member

So you could kibosh some one from caboshing ???? as in (he put a kabosh
    to the caboshed ram painting).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?