What is central charge in a CFT?

• Thread starter Pacopag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the central charge in a conformal field theory is a mathematical concept that measures the symmetry of the system and is associated with the Virasoro algebra. It is represented by an operator that commutes with all other symmetry operators in the theory. The eigenvalues of this operator, known as the Casimir, are used to determine the system. The allowed values of the central charge depend on the representations of the Virasoro algebra and can be fractional or irrational. The concept of central charge is consistent across different Lie algebras and is an important aspect of conformal field theory.
Pacopag
Hi. I'm trying to learn CFT on my own, and central charge seems to be a pretty important concept. It seems that I can only find mathematical definitions in terms of the stress-energy tensor, or the Virasoro algebra. I was wondering if someone could give me a physical interpretation of central charge, or at least a definition in plain English.

Thanks.

Likes spaghetti3451
Physics news on Phys.org
they're the casimirs of the theory. A casimir of a theory is an operator that commutes with all other symmetry operators of a theory. For angular momentum this is the [tex] L_i L^i [/tex] operator. The eigenvalues of the Casimir are used to determine the system, such as the j(j+1) for the angular momentum.

Hope that was of some use

Likes spaghetti3451
Sure. That helps a bunch.

So when we say that a CFT has central charge of, say, c=2, do we really mean that the "eigenvalue" of c is 2?.

Likes spaghetti3451
Yes, the letter c is used to denote both the operator and it's eigenvalue. This confusing state of affairs is the convention

Likes spaghetti3451
So if c is an operator, then I'm guessing that it may carry several eigenvalues. But I've never heard of a CFT with more than one central charge. Maybe I just haven't read far enough yet. Is there such thing as fractional or irrational central charges? Like, say, c=pi?

Likes spaghetti3451
I have to step down at this point since I'm not familiar with CFT I only know about central charges from string theory

Likes spaghetti3451
No problem. Thanks for your help. I guess I just have to keep reading.

Likes spaghetti3451
sgd37 said:
they're the casimirs of the theory. A casimir of a theory is an operator that commutes with all other symmetry operators of a theory. For angular momentum this is the [tex] L_i L^i [/tex] operator. The eigenvalues of the Casimir are used to determine the system, such as the j(j+1) for the angular momentum.

Hope that was of some use

Does the notion of central charge in the context of the conformal field theory differ so radically from the notion of central charge for any other Lie algebra, like for example the Galilei or Poincare ones ? I'm just asking, because I don't see any reason, even if we complement the CFT algebra of n-dimensional space-time with SUSY generators. In other words the concept of central charge should be uniform (and essentially mathematic) for any physical Lie algebra or superalgebra.

Likes spaghetti3451
bigubau said:
Does the notion of central charge in the context of the conformal field theory differ so radically from the notion of central charge for any other Lie algebra, like for example the Galilei or Poincare ones ? I'm just asking, because I don't see any reason, even if we complement the CFT algebra of n-dimensional space-time with SUSY generators. In other words the concept of central charge should be uniform (and essentially mathematic) for any physical Lie algebra or superalgebra.

The central charge in a CFT is based on the same principle of central extension as in any other Lie algebra. The Virasoro algebra projects onto the Witt algebra when you divide by the center. Both are subalgebras of the algebra of diffeomorphisms on [tex]S^1[/tex].

There was a question about allowed values of the central charge. If we're talking about representations of the Virasoro algebra, the constraint arises from demanding that the representations be unitary (no negative norm states). All values of [tex]c\geq 1, h\geq 0[/tex] are allowed ([tex]h[/tex] is the conformal weight), while between [tex]0<c<1[/tex] there is a discrete set of points

[tex] c= 1 -\frac{6}{m(m+1)}, ~ m=3,4,\ldots .[/tex]

A blatant example of a fractional value of [tex]c[/tex] is that of a free fermion, which has [tex]c=1/2[/tex]. Ginsparg's lectures http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9108028 are a great reference for many CFT topics.

Likes Demystifier

1. What is a central charge in a CFT?

A central charge in a CFT (Conformal Field Theory) is a mathematical parameter that characterizes the symmetry of the theory. It is a measure of the number of degrees of freedom and is closely related to the Virasoro algebra, which describes the conformal symmetry of the theory.

2. How is central charge calculated in a CFT?

Central charge can be calculated using various methods, including the Cardy formula, which relates central charge to the energy of the lowest-lying state in the CFT. It can also be calculated using the Virasoro algebra and the operator product expansion (OPE) of the theory.

3. What is the significance of central charge in a CFT?

Central charge plays a crucial role in understanding the symmetries and properties of a CFT. It is related to the scaling dimensions of operators in the theory and can also determine the critical behavior of the system. Additionally, central charge is a key parameter in the study of holographic dualities and string theory.

4. How does central charge affect the behavior of a CFT?

The value of central charge can affect the behavior of a CFT in various ways. For instance, a larger central charge can lead to a greater number of degrees of freedom and result in a more complex and rich structure of the theory. It can also affect the phase transitions and critical behavior of the system.

5. Can central charge be experimentally measured in a CFT?

No, central charge cannot be directly measured in experiments as it is a purely theoretical quantity. However, its effects can be observed in the behavior of physical systems that exhibit conformal symmetry, such as in certain condensed matter systems and in high-energy physics experiments.