What is CFD where can i get it how can i learn it

i have got a project about dimpled airfoils and i need a good computer simulation and my professor told me that cfd is very more complicated than i can handle so i cant do anything but i need to do something and i am ready to learn cfd(i'm a great c,c++ programmer) what do you think i should do and please explain about cfd. thank you for your attention.

Answers and Replies

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cfd=Computational Fluid Dynamics.
it is not a "thing"; it is just what you call fluid dynamics (which includes the physics of airfoils) when the calculations are done on a computer.

And yes it is very complicated; you need to have a good grasp of various mathematical techniques (PDEs etc) before you can even begin to understand it.

russ_watters
Mentor
Google "CFD software"

my biggest problem is to find a place i can download it from i can even download it from!! please if anybody has a link please reply!!

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Again; CFD is not a "thing". or a specific piece of software. It is just numerical fluid dynamics.
Now, there are lots of software packages that can do CFD simulations. Comsol and Ansys would be two examples of commercial (=not free) "generic" math packages that can also solve CFD problems.
There are a number of free CFD tools around; just search for "CFD software" in Google (although I suspect many of them will be made for Linux/UNIX, as is often the case for this type of software), if you are lu7cky you might be able to find a free tool that can do what you wan (although dimpled airfoils sounds seriously difficult, I suspect it would be a full 3D problem meaning you might even need a supercomputer to perform realistic simulations)

russ_watters
Mentor
You're unlikely to find a free one, but here's one I use a lot. Does it look like it meets your needs?

http://inres.com/products/tileflow/overview.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you it really helped me alot!

import your geometry to ansys benchwork then make cfd mesh then import file to cfd(ccl)