Is Relativity the Evolution of Classical Physics?

In summary: So in my opinion relativity is the more natural extension and quantum physics is the more radical one.In summary, classical physics includes all physics developed before the end of the 19th century, including Newtonian mechanics, classical electrodynamics, and special and general relativity. It excludes quantum physics and may or may not include relativity, depending on the perspective of the individual. Relativity is seen as a natural extension of classical physics, while quantum physics is considered a more radical departure.
askor
Can someone please tell me what is Classical Physics?

Does Kinematics in One Dimension such as in Physics textbook is considered a "Classical Physics"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not QM and not Relativity, I would think. Non-relativistic kinematics of macro objects would certainly seem to qualify as Classical, IMO.

Likes anorlunda
askor said:
Does Kinematics in One Dimension such as in Physics textbook is considered a "Classical Physics"?
Sure, kinematics is part of "classical" physics. But note that homework problems belong in the Homework section.

Classical physics excludes quantum physics. Depending on who you ask, it may or may not include Einstein's relativity.

Likes Delta2
askor said:
Can someone please tell me what is Classical Physics?

That's not so easy to answer, because not everybody agrees on what's "classical physics". For me classical physics is everything which is not quantum physics, i.e., on a fundamental level classical physics consists of Newtonian mechanics, classical electrodynamics, and special as well as general relativity. Some people also call relativity "not classical" though.

Likes bhobba, Delta2 and Ibix
It's been said that general relativity is the jewel in the crown of classical physics.

Likes Delta2, Ibix and vanhees71
I am an old romantic of the end of the 19th century, in my opinion classical physics is all physics as they have been assembled up to the end of 19th century 1880-1900 and they don't include special or general relativity, and of course not anything quantum (quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics).

Likes bhobba and vanhees71
In summary:
  • Anything that is not using special relativity, general relativity nor anything quantum is definitely classical.
  • Anything quantum is definitely non-classical.
  • Special and general relativity may be classical or not depending who is talking. Note that non-quantum electromagnetism falls into this bracket since it's an inherently relativistic theory.

Likes vanhees71
Delta2 said:
I am an old romantic of the end of the 19th century, in my opinion classical physics is all physics as they have been assembled up to the end of 19th century 1880-1900 and they don't include special or general relativity, and of course not anything quantum (quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics).
So is classical electrodynamics (Maxwell's and the Maxwellian's version of it) then classical, because it was definitely discovered in the 19th century or is not not classical, because it's the paradigmatic example of a relativistic (gauge) field theory?

Also relativity is just a smooth continuation of the "good old classical physics". It's just "repairing" the inconsistencies of classical physics as far as the spacetime description is concerned, dealing with the intrinsic contradictions between the Galilei-Newtonian spacetime structure with Maxwell's electrodynamics. All of what you call "classical physics", based on Galilei-Newton spacetime, was very quickly "translated" into its relativistic version (though it took some decades to sort out some quibbles with subjects like thermodynamics).

In contradistinction to that quantum theory was really a revolution, which indeed forced the physicists to abandon the "old romantic" deterministic worldview, and that's why I would think that it's more appropriate to count relativity to classical physics while quantum theory is really something new.

vanhees71 said:
So is classical electrodynamics (Maxwell's and the Maxwellian's version of it) then classical, because it was definitely discovered in the 19th century or is not not classical, because it's the paradigmatic example of a relativistic (gauge) field theory?

Also relativity is just a smooth continuation of the "good old classical physics". It's just "repairing" the inconsistencies of classical physics as far as the spacetime description is concerned, dealing with the intrinsic contradictions between the Galilei-Newtonian spacetime structure with Maxwell's electrodynamics. All of what you call "classical physics", based on Galilei-Newton spacetime, was very quickly "translated" into its relativistic version (though it took some decades to sort out some quibbles with subjects like thermodynamics).

In contradistinction to that quantum theory was really a revolution, which indeed forced the physicists to abandon the "old romantic" deterministic worldview, and that's why I would think that it's more appropriate to count relativity to classical physics while quantum theory is really something new.
Classical Electrodynamics are part of classical physics, they were discovered in the 19th century and no one knew back then what is a relativistic gauge field theory and that CED is one such theory

The inconsistencies of classical physics were known by the late 19th century. Relativity fixed some of them and quantum physics fixed some other. If I had to choose between relativity and quantum physics as an extension of classical physics I would choose relativity of course.

Likes vanhees71

What is Classical Physics?

Classical Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of matter and energy at the macroscopic level, meaning it focuses on objects that are visible to the naked eye. It is also known as Newtonian physics, as it is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What are the main principles of Classical Physics?

The main principles of Classical Physics include Newton's three laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of momentum. These principles govern the behavior of objects in motion and their interactions with each other.

How is Classical Physics different from Modern Physics?

Classical Physics and Modern Physics are two distinct branches of physics. While Classical Physics deals with the study of macroscopic objects, Modern Physics focuses on the microscopic world, including atoms and subatomic particles. Modern Physics also takes into account the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics, which were not included in Classical Physics.

What are some real-world applications of Classical Physics?

Classical Physics has a wide range of real-world applications, including the study of motion and forces in engineering, the design of structures and machines, and the development of technologies such as cars, airplanes, and bridges. It is also used in fields like astronomy, meteorology, and acoustics.

What are some famous experiments in Classical Physics?

Some famous experiments in Classical Physics include Galileo's experiments on falling objects, Newton's experiments on light and color, and the Cavendish experiment which measured the gravitational constant. These experiments helped to establish the fundamental principles of Classical Physics and laid the foundation for further scientific discoveries.