1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is experience?

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    What is experience? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

valuable in many cases, so long as one can draw some sort of learning experience from it.

4. May 23, 2004 #3
    lol ... yes ... but what is it?

5. May 23, 2004 #4
    It is a wonderful thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

6. May 23, 2004 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

subjective proof?

7. May 23, 2004 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What exactly do you mean by "what is it?" (And should I have put two question marks there?)

I suppose you could say an experience is any temporally extended perception, perception being the awareness either of sensory input or introspective thought.

8. May 24, 2004 #7
    lol...what is it?

9. May 24, 2004 #8
    Im tempted by that def, but does it have to be a proof?

10. May 24, 2004 #9
    I have a feeling this def. is missing something. Erm...can we define experience in terms of labels of experience i.e words? Is that 'ok' thing to do? Is being in a vegetative state- an experience?

Is just being alive an experience?...therefore even if u dont have sensory input or thought you could have experience?

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  11. May 24, 2004 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Do two magnets experience each other?
    Does a leaf experience sunlight, wind, or rain?
    Is cell irritability experience?
    Does your tongue taste a lemon or do you taste it?
    Where would you draw the line?
    Happy thoughts
    Rachel

12. May 24, 2004 #11
    I'm undecided. WOuld appreciate ur views on it though :D

13. May 24, 2004 #12
    sounds like you got sum great ideas for new threads ;D

14. May 24, 2004 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:wink:
    I meant the questions to point out that I don’ think there is *a* definition. There could even be several reasonable definitions, or several “levels” of experience.
    For instance, you could say matter experiences physical forces.
    You could say experience requires a chemical reaction, like photosynthesis.
    You could say experience requires a (functioning) nervous system, like that of a worm.
    You could say it requires consciousness, or a certain level of consciousness.

Did you have a specific kind of experience in mind?

15. May 24, 2004 #14
    No point. In any question put on this board, I've noticed that a sort of good etiquett to do a mental ritual-dance that entails a rangle over the definitions assumed in the question ... I'll let each person define their own ...

16. May 24, 2004 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hehehe... so you can dish it out, but you can't take it?

From your comments about the definitions given by others, it seems you have *some* idea of what is experience. Can you give a tentative definition?

17. May 24, 2004 #16
    No I cannot. It's only fair :D ... must stay neutral ... but not unenquiring ... what are your thoughts?

18. May 24, 2004 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't think there is *a* definition ;)

19. May 24, 2004 #18
    But of what value is that knowledge if it does not lead to better experiences?

----------------------------------------

An experience is a subjective state.

Experience in a particular field is having adequate germane experiences (first definition) grounded in objective reality as to have gained the knowledge necessary for a certain task, or at least enough to put oneself well above the typical level of knowledge.

20. May 24, 2004 #19
    Experience is the result of the stimulation of specific sensory organs and organelles in an organism by the environment. It includes internal stimulation via simple chemical reactions and/or neuronal exchanges and eventually the storage of experiencial information gained from the stimulus of the sensory input in the form of modified dioxyriboneucleic acid molecules and modified chemical and/or neuronal behaviors in response to the "experience" or similar experiences in quesition.

That will be all! :confused:

21. May 24, 2004 #20
    Let's define "An experience" as opposed to "Experience in a particular field".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?