Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is experience?

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    What is experience? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

valuable in many cases, so long as one can draw some sort of learning experience from it.

4. May 23, 2004 #3
    lol ... yes ... but what is it?

5. May 23, 2004 #4
    It is a wonderful thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

6. May 23, 2004 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

subjective proof?

7. May 23, 2004 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What exactly do you mean by "what is it?" (And should I have put two question marks there?)

I suppose you could say an experience is any temporally extended perception, perception being the awareness either of sensory input or introspective thought.

8. May 24, 2004 #7
    lol...what is it?

9. May 24, 2004 #8
    Im tempted by that def, but does it have to be a proof?

10. May 24, 2004 #9
    I have a feeling this def. is missing something. Erm...can we define experience in terms of labels of experience i.e words? Is that 'ok' thing to do? Is being in a vegetative state- an experience?

Is just being alive an experience?...therefore even if u dont have sensory input or thought you could have experience?

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  11. May 24, 2004 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Do two magnets experience each other?
    Does a leaf experience sunlight, wind, or rain?
    Is cell irritability experience?
    Does your tongue taste a lemon or do you taste it?
    Where would you draw the line?
    Happy thoughts
    Rachel

12. May 24, 2004 #11
    I'm undecided. WOuld appreciate ur views on it though :D

13. May 24, 2004 #12
    sounds like you got sum great ideas for new threads ;D

14. May 24, 2004 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:wink:
    I meant the questions to point out that I don’ think there is *a* definition. There could even be several reasonable definitions, or several “levels” of experience.
    For instance, you could say matter experiences physical forces.
    You could say experience requires a chemical reaction, like photosynthesis.
    You could say experience requires a (functioning) nervous system, like that of a worm.
    You could say it requires consciousness, or a certain level of consciousness.

Did you have a specific kind of experience in mind?

15. May 24, 2004 #14
    No point. In any question put on this board, I've noticed that a sort of good etiquett to do a mental ritual-dance that entails a rangle over the definitions assumed in the question ... I'll let each person define their own ...

16. May 24, 2004 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hehehe... so you can dish it out, but you can't take it?

From your comments about the definitions given by others, it seems you have *some* idea of what is experience. Can you give a tentative definition?

17. May 24, 2004 #16
    No I cannot. It's only fair :D ... must stay neutral ... but not unenquiring ... what are your thoughts?

18. May 24, 2004 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't think there is *a* definition ;)

19. May 24, 2004 #18
    But of what value is that knowledge if it does not lead to better experiences?

----------------------------------------

An experience is a subjective state.

Experience in a particular field is having adequate germane experiences (first definition) grounded in objective reality as to have gained the knowledge necessary for a certain task, or at least enough to put oneself well above the typical level of knowledge.

20. May 24, 2004 #19
    Experience is the result of the stimulation of specific sensory organs and organelles in an organism by the environment. It includes internal stimulation via simple chemical reactions and/or neuronal exchanges and eventually the storage of experiencial information gained from the stimulus of the sensory input in the form of modified dioxyriboneucleic acid molecules and modified chemical and/or neuronal behaviors in response to the "experience" or similar experiences in quesition.

That will be all! :confused:

21. May 24, 2004 #20
    Let's define "An experience" as opposed to "Experience in a particular field".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?