What is it about George W. Bush

I don't know what you are talking about. Human rights are pretty clear-cut. The fact that some racists kill people they don't like doesn't have anything to do with anything. That's not a right regardless of what they think.
You stated that the US is founded on fighting for your rights. You are correct in the sense that that is literally how the US was founded. The whole right to bare arms is based on being able to defend yourself against a government that has gone astray.

Now, my point is that the only time in US history people felt forced to "fight" for their right against a government that has gone in their eyes astray is during the civil war. Note that we are not dealing with "some racists" but rather a large group of people that felt their livelihood was taking away, mainly by prohibition.

The only other "peaceful" fight against the government came from MLK.

I think US citizens have been very non-critical with regards to their government. In 9 out of 10 western countries the Iraq lies would have led to a crisis most likely followed with the forced resignation of the government or re-elections, here it seemed of very little consequence.

I don't think most people in any western Country really knows what it means to fight for ones right, and if the US was ever founded on this principle it certainly is not anymore, and that is a sad conclusion.

Every two years we overthrow our government.

drankin
Please reread my post. You missed the entire point.

You CAN use your gun. But will you?

What I am saying is, people who scream about owning guns being their right suddenly don't care when other rights are taken away. So what's the point of taking away guns if people will not use them anyway?
I've reread your post as you asked. Your analogy is not valid IMO, because the right to bear arms is ultimately for the purpose of defending the people against a tyrannical government. That is the last straw. Without arms, we are defenseless to do anything about it. In Constitutional theory (as I understand it), armed citizens could come together, form a militia and defend their Constitional rights if necessary.

Has anyone else noticed that bush is more coherent in his speech, speaking (abilities), his ability to answer questions more 'on topic' and not presenting what he's saying in a 'non-self-centered' way (fewer "I, me, my mine's"), is more concerned with things in a 'presidential' way and speaks of those things with less 'glib' in his tone, and not needing his cheat sheets to remember what he's talking about lately?

My first thoughts is that he is drinking less, taking less drugs (prescribed, and/or otherwise), or maybe on better drugs, and/or (and probably) less of both of the above.

Of course, we are seeing less of him also, but he seems to have a different demeanor; and, is more concerned in items of a national nature, rather than trying to advance just his own party, his own self interests, and the RNC's platform.

For example:

"Bush shifts on climate change"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/16/bush.climate.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview [Broken]

So are all of these changes part of his goal to try to leave a 'sweet taste' in people's minds before he leaves office?

I personally don't think it will help a lot. People (some) have refrained from a full criticism of him and his presidency 'while he is still in office'.----

I've been saying this since before the 2004 election, that he is, and probably will be, counted as the very worst president we (America) have ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I haven't noticed that he's more lucid, but then I don't really pay attention any more.

I think people are refraining from criticism because his performance has been so poor, it's like kicking someone when they're down. And everyone is just soooo, soooo tired of this administration...I know I'm just weary of them, all of them.

Funny, being a dual national, I could easily move to France, most of my family lives there anyway.
Moving to France to avoid a president is not a good idea anymore :tongue2: :rofl:

quadraphonics
You stated that the US is founded on fighting for your rights. You are correct in the sense that that is literally how the US was founded. The whole right to bare arms is based on being able to defend yourself against a government that has gone astray.

Now, my point is that the only time in US history people felt forced to "fight" for their right against a government that has gone in their eyes astray is during the civil war.
Wait, in the first paragraph, you're talking about "fighting for your rights," but in the second this is equated to "fighting *against your own government* for your rights." And, even then, you seem to take "fight" to mean "declare war." To be honest, I think you need to either include the provisos from the beginning, or aknowledge that there are countless other examples of Americans fighting for their rights. The sufferage movement was one you skipped, as well as the movement against Prohibition. There are innumerable smaller examples beyond that, from the fights against the draft, to the opposition to McCarthyism, to the consumer rights movement.

I think US citizens have been very non-critical with regards to their government. In 9 out of 10 western countries the Iraq lies would have led to a crisis most likely followed with the forced resignation of the government or re-elections, here it seemed of very little consequence.
Funny, I seem to remember substantially more than 10% of Western countries participating in the invasion/occuption. Also, you may recall the Republicans getting hammered in the 2006 elections, and widespread expectations that this trend will continue this year.