What is log (100)? Bachelor of Engineering? Civil Field?

• Thread starter caper_26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the concept of logarithm is dependent on the base that is being used. Historically, log has meant the natural logarithm, but nowadays it usually means log base 10, especially in early math education and when using a calculator. For arithmetic, base 10 is used while base e is used for calculus. To distinguish between the two, log is used for base 10 and ln is used for base e. However, the natural logarithm is not a function from complex numbers to complex numbers and is instead multivalued.

What is log (100) ?

Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
caper_26
Without trying to lean anyone to either answer, I will post WHY I asked this question after I gather some data from the poll. thanks. Pretty simple question:

What is log (100) ?

If you can, please post what degree you have and what field, for example:
Bachelor of Engineering: Civil

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is meaningless without specifying what base you are using. I assume that's your point but it's not a very interesting one.

You should just write what you are thinking. Historically, log has meant natural log. Nowadays, its means log base 10. This is the case in early math education more than it is in research and higher science where log can still mean the natural log. Usually with the context its quite clear (sometimes, the difference doesn't matter at all). If you are in college algebra log means base 10. If you are using a calculator log means base 10. If you are viewing Boltzmann's tombstone log means base e.

When doing arithmetic using logs, base 10 is used. When doing calculus, base e is used. To distinguish sometimes base 10 is written log, while base e is written ln.

caper_26 said:
Without trying to lean anyone to either answer, I will post WHY I asked this question after I gather some data from the poll. thanks. Pretty simple question:

What is log (100) ?

If you can, please post what degree you have and what field, for example:
Bachelor of Engineering: Civil

Thanks.
Neither. Typically, out of habit, I use ##\log## to mean the base 10 logarithm. I've been meaning to break this habit ever since micromass told me that it was more agreeable with modern notation to use ##\log## for the natural logarithm. Now is as good a time as ever to do so, I guess.

##\log(100)=\operatorname{Log}(100)+2\pi i n##, where ##\operatorname{Log}## is the principle value of the natural logarithm and ##n\in\mathbb{Z}##.

Your use of the word "is" along with the truncation of the decimal expansion of ##\operatorname{Log}(100)## disturbs me.

Remember that we define ##\log## as the inverse of exponentiation. Thus, if ##e^x=y##, then ##\log(y)=x##. Observe: $$e^t=e^t\cdot 1 \\ e^t=e^te^{2\pi i n}\quad (n\in\mathbb{Z}) \\ e^t=e^{t+2\pi i n} \\ \log(x)=t+2\pi i n \quad (\text{Here we have made the substitution } x=e^t).$$ We might even define, from this case, ##\operatorname{Log}(x)=t##. The point of this is that the natural logarithm is NOT a function from complex numbers to complex numbers. Instead, it is multivalued (unless we define it on something called a Riemann surface).

1. What is log (100)?

Log (100) is the exponent or power to which the base, in this case 10, must be raised to get the number 100. In other words, it is the inverse operation of exponentiation.

2. What is a Bachelor of Engineering?

A Bachelor of Engineering is an undergraduate academic degree awarded to students who have completed a program in the field of engineering. It typically takes 4-5 years to complete and covers a wide range of subjects related to engineering, including mathematics, science, design, and project management.

3. What is the Civil Field?

The Civil Field refers to the branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water supply systems. It also involves the study of how these structures interact with the natural environment and how to ensure their safety and sustainability.

4. What are the job opportunities for graduates with a Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Field?

Graduates with a Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Field have a variety of job opportunities available to them, including roles in construction, transportation, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, and water resources engineering. They can also work in government agencies, consulting firms, and research institutions.

5. What skills are required to succeed in the Civil Field?

To succeed in the Civil Field, individuals need to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They should also have a solid understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are essential for collaborating with other professionals in the field.