What is Mechanical engineering techonology?

In summary: Probably. Actually majoring in MET and business/finance would be a reasonably good combination. Financial companies need technically savvy people, and technical people (engineers and scientists) need savvy financial advisors.
Atoweha
I'm currently a Mechanical engineering major in my junior year. My current GPA through my sophomore year is 2.75 (2.4 for Major) (yeah my humanities are keeping me afloat..hmm). I was thinking of switching to Economics or Business but i just don't think i'd enjoy those either.
I found that there was something called Engineering technologies, can ANYONE tell me what it is? how hard/ what you do in it? All I've found on the internet is that when a machine that a real engineer designs breaks down, its the technicians job to fix it. So, is it really just a real engineers hermit? Can i use engineering technology in the finance world?
The real reason i got into Mechanical engineering was that 1st, it has a high starting salary, 2nd, almost guranteed a jobs after graduation. (yes i know, for all the wrong reasons) i didnt even enjoy AP physics when i took it in High School, somewhat enjoyed calculus. I understand that i went into Engineering for all the wrong reasons, but everyone i asked in high school (including parents and academic advisors) said the same reasons. I am trying to right a wrong so please help me.
What is Mechanical engineering technology? and can I use it in a Finance world?
Thanks for all/any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

My understanding of MET is that it's more practical and applied than ME, and that the work is more hands-on.

If you want to switch from ME to finance, it seems to me taking an MET path would lead you in the wrong direction.

I believe Mechanical (or Manufacturing) Engineering Techology is more like process, control and instrumentation engineering for manufacturing, and it could include foundry/casting engineering/technology, welding, . . . . A lot of manufacturing systems use conveyor type systems (e.g., assembly lines), and someone has to lay out and build the systems used to make components and products.

An assembly line might include various metallurgical (alloy development, melting, casting, . . . ) or chemical steps, various kinds of machining operations, heat treatment (annealing, sintering, . . . ), cleaning, measurement/metrology steps, and QC/QQ steps. Nowadays, many steps are logged into a computer network, in addition to having a cardboard traveler signed off.

Astronuc said:
I believe Mechanical (or Manufacturing) Engineering Techology is more like process, control and instrumentation engineering for manufacturing, and it could include foundry/casting engineering/technology, welding, . . . . A lot of manufacturing systems use conveyor type systems (e.g., assembly lines), and someone has to lay out and build the systems used to make components and products.

An assembly line might include various metallurgical (alloy development, melting, casting, . . . ) or chemical steps, various kinds of machining operations, heat treatment (annealing, sintering, . . . ), cleaning, measurement/metrology steps, and QC/QQ steps. Nowadays, many steps are logged into a computer network, in addition to having a cardboard traveler signed off.

Seems like i wouldn't be able to use MET in finance...darn, hate it when i get myself excited about something working out only for it to fail

Atoweha said:
Seems like i wouldn't be able to use MET in finance...darn, hate it when i get myself excited about something working out only for it to fail
Not necessarily. If one understands manufacturing (the process) and finance, then one could develop a niche as financial expert in the manufacturing sector, or once could work for a consulting company like McKinsey & Co, or investment/commercial bank, or auditing firm like Ernst & Young or KPMG. Or start one's own boutique.

Astronuc said:
Not necessarily. If one understands manufacturing (the process) and finance, then one could develop a niche as financial expert in the manufacturing sector, or once could work for a consulting company like McKinsey & Co, or investment/commercial bank, or auditing firm like Ernst & Young or KPMG. Or start one's own boutique.

So i could do a double major in MET and Finance? would that be a worth while degree combination?

Last edited:

Atoweha said:
So i could do a double major in MET and Finance? would that be a worth while degree combination?
Probably. Actually majoring in MET and business/finance would be a reasonably good combination. Financial companies need technically savvy people, and technical people (engineers and scientists) need savvy financial advisors.

Related to What is Mechanical engineering techonology?

What is Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Mechanical engineering technology is a branch of engineering that focuses on the practical application and implementation of mechanical principles. It involves the design, development, testing, and manufacturing of mechanical systems and devices.

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology?

The main difference between mechanical engineering and mechanical engineering technology is the level of focus on theoretical concepts versus practical applications. Mechanical engineering tends to focus more on theoretical design and analysis, while mechanical engineering technology focuses on the practical implementation and operation of mechanical systems.

What skills are needed to be successful in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

To be successful in mechanical engineering technology, one needs a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and mechanical principles. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are important in this field.

What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a degree in mechanical engineering technology can pursue a variety of careers, such as mechanical engineer, design engineer, product development engineer, manufacturing engineer, and quality control engineer. They can also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing.

What is the future outlook for jobs in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

The job outlook for mechanical engineering technology is expected to grow at a steady pace in the coming years. With the increasing demand for innovative and efficient mechanical systems, there will be a need for skilled professionals in this field. Additionally, advancements in technology and automation will also create new job opportunities in the field of mechanical engineering technology.