Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is nano? how to obtain nano material ?

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    what is nano? how to obtain nano material ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: nano???

"nano" is a number pre-fix meaning one-billionth. That is, an object with a length of one nano-meter would be .000000001 meter long. You are probably thinking of "nano-technology" which refers to technology for working with and building things that consists of only a few molecules or atoms. I'm not sure what you would mean by "nan-materials". Since a "nan-structure" would, as I said, consist of only a few molecules, there isn't much "material" to it. So far "nano-technology" consists primarily of tiny "bottles" that hold a few molecules of a drug or filters with pores one or two molecules large.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3

I mean how to make carbon say in nano phase?
    simply

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

6. Jun 21, 2011 #5
  7. Jun 21, 2011 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

As has been said "nano" simply refers to a measurement on the order of 1e-9 metres. Nanoscience is any science dealing with objects at this scale, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology" [Broken] is one that has been specifically engineered on the nanoscale and has at least one dimension between 1 and 100 nanometres.

There is no such thing as a "nano phase" only nano size. Carbon at the nanosize could be tiny amounts of graphite, diamond etc however in the nanotechnology field there is great interest in using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube" [Broken] for various uses.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Jun 21, 2011 #7

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Jun 25, 2011 #8

Nano is just a measurement prefix. Alone itself it does not mean anything. However, nanometer, nanofarad etc. make sense.

If you mean nanotechnology it is the science and technology of materials of size ranging between 100 nm - 1 nm. They are generally called mesoscopic systems. Carbon Nanotube is just one of them. others include ZnO nanostructures. Nanopore DNA detector. Nanoclustures of Si, Ag, Au etc.

I'll state a few use of them? Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) can be used as chemical sensors, CNTFETs, energy storage, high mechanical strength devices etc. ZnO nanoparticles make colorless sunscreen.

We have to apply quantum physics in nanoscale systems as in that small dimensions the electrons behave quantum mechanically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook