What is needed for life to exsist on another planet?

In summary, the main things that are needed for life to exist are carbon, oxygen, and water. Other elements might also be necessary, depending on the type of life. Life on Earth is based around these three things, so it is likely that life would need them on another planet as well.
Mackay1011
What are the main things that are needed for life to exsist on another planet, or can micro bacteria or whatever just adapt to heat, cold, water, ect, what was on our planet when we first came about?

Biology news on Phys.org
well... as we look at extra-solar planets, the vast majority have very elliptical orbits (which are favored over highly circular orbits), our almost circular orbit seems to be a statistical anomaly... so perhaps some form of stability... in climate, or radiation seems to favor life... (unless its just a giant coincidence and all those planets have life too)

also, life on Earth is water based... so we look for water.. it is doubtful that life could substitute some other substance for water because this substance would probably be found on Earth and in that case we should find life in places with 0 water like deep underground, but we don't

it also requires a somewhat huge localized decrease in entropy, which would require a lot of energy or a vast period of time to occur

lightning, rain, hot rocks... to synthesize the basic stuff like amino acids

perhaps a moon

Last edited:
For life as we know it, as Spitfire pointed out, the requirements are carbon, oxygen, and water. There's nothing to prove, however, that other life can't be based upon other materials.
Places that you would probably consider the most inhospitable environments on Earth host a surprising amount of life, such as sea-floor volcanic vents. That's an incredibly high-pressure, high-temperature situation with a sulphur 'atmosphere', and yet things thrive there.
It would also depend upon how you define 'life'. Things like simple amino acids are perfectly capable of surviving in open space. That's a building block of life, rather than life itself (by my definition), but it shows the potential that organic compounds can adapt to a lot of different circumstances.

Thanks for the comments, when i say life i mean anything that can move and reproduce in any form. so for any planet to sustain life of any kind HAS to have carbon, oxygen and water.
cant you have argon carbon and water for example? what's argon anyway lol

Mackay1011 said:
so for any planet to sustain life of any kind HAS to have carbon, oxygen and water.
cant you have argon carbon and water for example? what's argon anyway lol

Argon is a noble element that does not react with anything and has no function within life. Saying that oxygen and water are required is redundant since water conains oxygen. So I would say minimum required elements would be water and carbon and perhaps nitrogen since it is fairly abundant in many amino acids and such.

BoomBoom said:
Saying that oxygen and water are required is redundant since water conains oxygen.

True, but I was referring to oxygen that isn't bound to hydrogen, so as to be breathed or combined into carbon dioxide for plant respiration.

As we have not found any life on other planets, it is hard to speculate on what it would be made of. The best we could do would be to compare with ourselves, but that it not enough.

Well, as far as we know life requires carbon, but that is not necessarily correct. It is the physical and chemical properties that make carbon ideal for life, but under other circumstances, it might be different. A substance that has similar properties is silicon, for instance.

Oxygen might not be needed as well, since there are bacterial life here on Earth that would die in oxygen rich environment. They get their energy from oxidizing sulfur or iron, I think.

If there is life in the Universe, besides us, they do not have to be complex organisms. They could just as well be unicellular organisms. It just so happens that water is part of the cellular respiration here on earth, but in other environments, who knows?

Moridin said:
Oxygen might not be needed as well, since there are bacterial life here on Earth that would die in oxygen rich environment. They get their energy from oxidizing sulfur or iron, I think.

And just how would they oxidize something if they have no access to oxygen? :tongue:

Danger said:
And just how would they oxidize something if they have no access to oxygen? :tongue:

Do the extremophiles that live in the deep oceans of Earth near volcanic vents have access to atmosphereic O2? They do not and metabolize things like frozen methane. Life is really quite adaptive and can live in a wide assortment of different environments.

I kind of agree with Moridin in a sense. Given a completely different soup of chemicals, who knows what form life would take. But based on life on Earth it would seem you must have carbon. I can't wait until we find something and hope it happens in my lifetime.

1. What are the basic necessities for life to exist on another planet?

The basic necessities for life to exist on another planet are water, a source of energy, a stable atmosphere, organic molecules, and favorable temperatures.

2. Can life exist on a planet without water?

While water is essential for most forms of life on Earth, there is a possibility that life could exist on a planet without water, as long as another liquid can serve as a solvent for biochemical reactions.

3. How does the source of energy affect the potential for life on another planet?

The source of energy on a planet is crucial for life to exist. This energy can come from various sources, such as sunlight, chemical reactions, or heat from the planet's core. Without a source of energy, life cannot sustain itself.

4. Is it possible for life to exist on a planet with a different atmosphere than Earth's?

Yes, it is possible for life to exist on a planet with a different atmosphere than Earth's. The key is that the atmosphere must be stable and contain the necessary gases for life to survive, such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen.

5. What are some factors that could make a planet uninhabitable for life?

Some factors that could make a planet uninhabitable for life include extreme temperatures, lack of a suitable atmosphere, high levels of radiation, and no source of energy. Other factors such as the planet's size and distance from its star can also affect its habitability.