Probability of Correctly Answering 1 of 4 Questions

Good luck!In summary, the probability of getting one question correct out of four multiple choice questions is 1/4. However, the probability of getting at least one question correct out of four questions is 1- (3/4)^4, which is approximately 0.68. This means that a student has a 68% chance of getting at least one question correct when randomly choosing one of four choices for each of the four questions.
Yh Hoo
What is probability??

If i have 1 objective question with four multiple choices. The probability of getting 1 question correct is 1/4. But how if i did 4 question, the probability of getting 1 question correct = 1.
What is meant by that?? That means i definitely will have one question done correctly amongst 4 questions ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

the probability of getting 1 question correct = 1.

No the probability is still 1 in 4.

There are now 16 total possible answers (4 for each of 4 questions) and only 4 correct ones.

So the probability of a correct answer is 4 in 16 or 1 in 4.

Last edited:

Your question isn't clear. You say you have "1 objective question" and then you ask about 4 questions.

Let's suppose you have 4 questions and that each question has 4 choices. We will assume each question has only one correct choice and that you pick a choice at random.

The probability of getting a given question correct is 1/4.

The probability of getting at least one correction correct out of 4 questions can be calculated by computing 1.0 minus the probability of missing all 4 questions.

You can also compute the probability of getting at least one question correct by using the formula for the probability of a union of events. But this formula does not say to compute (1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4).

Look up the formula in your course materials. They should explain formulas such as

[itex] P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B) [/itex]
[itex] P(A \cup B \cup C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A \cap B) - P(A \cap C) - P(B \cap C) + P(A \cap B \cap C) [/itex]
etc.

As I interpret you, you are asking that since the probability of getting a question right is 1/4, mustn't the probability of getting a question right out of 4 question be 4*1/4? The answer is no, you can't add up those probabilities like that.

This is how you do it: what is the probability for getting no answers correctly? The complement of this is to get at least one answer correctly. So if we call the probability for getting no answer correct p, then the probability you are looking for is 1-p.

To be more specific, just using exactly what has already been stated, the chance of getting one question wrong is .75 so the chance of getting all 4 questions wrong is .75^4 which is about 32%. Conversely, that means that the chance of NOT getting all 4 wrong is about 68% and that is the same as saying the odds of your get AT LEAST one right is 68%. If you want the odds of getting EXACTLY one right, it's different and I'll leave that one up to you.

Yh Hoo said:
If i have 1 objective question with four multiple choices. The probability of getting 1 question correct is 1/4. But how if i did 4 question, the probability of getting 1 question correct = 1.
Where did you get that? As others have said "1 question correct" can have many interpretations but for NONE of them is the probability 1. If you mean "exactly one question correct, the probability is [itex]4(1/4)(3/4)^3= 27/64[/itex] which is 0.421875. If you mean "at least one question correct", the probability is [itex]1- (3/4)^4= 1- 81/256= 0.68359375[/itex].

What is meant by that?? That means i definitely will have one question done correctly amongst 4 questions ?
Well, you know that isn't going to happen don't you! (If I had 4 questions and picked each of four possible responses for each, at random, I would probably get all four wrong!)

Thanks, guys, for showing me something.

Yh Hoo said:

No, there is still the possibility of getting 0 correct.

Sorry everyone! I think i am supposed to ask in this way. A objective question has 4 multiple choices. If a student do 4 objective questions by picking 1 of the 4 choices randomly, what is the number of correctly-done question expected for him ??

Yh Hoo said:
Sorry everyone! I think i am supposed to ask in this way. A objective question has 4 multiple choices. If a student do 4 objective questions by picking 1 of the 4 choices randomly, what is the number of correctly-done question expected for him ??

The answer to THAT question is not a number, it a probability distribution chart showing values for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4

phinds said:
The answer to THAT question is not a number, it a probability distribution chart showing values for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4

From what is asked (my bold) it looks like he is asking for the expectation value, which is a number.

Yh Hoo said:

Do you know how to calculate an expectation value for a probability distribution?

daveb said:
From what is asked (my bold) it looks like he is asking for the expectation value, which is a number.

It's not at all clear to me that he has any idea what he is asking for. I'm pretty he IS asking for a number but has no understanding of what that number would represent.

Yh Hoo, it looks to me like you need to study some fundamentals of finite math.

What is the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions?

The probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions is 25%, assuming all questions have an equal chance of being answered correctly. This is because there are four possible outcomes (answering 0, 1, 2, or 3 questions correctly) and each has an equal chance of occurring.

How is the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions affected by the difficulty of the questions?

The difficulty of the questions can affect the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions. If the questions are more difficult, the probability of getting one correct may decrease. However, if the questions are easier, the probability may increase.

Does the order of the questions impact the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions?

No, the order of the questions does not impact the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions. As long as each question has an equal chance of being answered correctly, the probability remains the same regardless of the order in which the questions are presented.

Can the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions be higher than 25%?

Yes, it is possible for the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions to be higher than 25%. This could occur if the questions are easy or if the person answering the questions has a higher level of knowledge or skill in the subject area.

How can the probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions be calculated?

The probability of correctly answering 1 of 4 questions can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to get 1 question correct (4) by the total number of possible outcomes (16). This gives a probability of 4/16 or 25%.