Quantization Explained: Understanding Photon Energy Packages

• Thread starter I'mnotarobot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantization
In summary, quantization is the procedure of representing the Lie algebra formed among dynamical variables as operators on a Hilbert space. This process has far-reaching consequences and is essential for understanding the nature of electromagnetic radiation and photons. While it may seem complex, studying Hamiltonian mechanics and Poisson brackets can provide a better understanding of quantization. Additionally, photons can be understood as "packages" of energy in experiments, but it's important to note that there are two different uses of the term. Further reading on this topic is recommended.
I'mnotarobot
Hi, I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it means to be quantized.
I know that electromagnetic radiation is quantized, and that means coming in little "packages" of energy, I can't really wrap my head around this, and would like if someone could explain this a better way maybe?

Would this then apply that photons are essentially these "packages" of energy?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'mnotarobot said:
Hi, I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it means to be quantized.

Yes they do come in packets of energy.

Why? Well, basically its what our theories predict.

There is a deep mathematical reason that can't be explained in words, and these lectures give the detail:

Unfortunately the question you have asked is very very deep and can't be explained in lay terms. Even using math its quite cutting edge requiring advanced concepts such as Pade approximations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padé_approximant

Thanks
Bill

Likes I'mnotarobot
I'mnotarobot said:
I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it means to be quantized. I know that electromagnetic radiation is quantized, and that means coming in little "packages" of energy,
Since you've given this thread an "I" tag, I'll say that the above is not really what "quantization" means, in general.

A better way to get the meaning is as follows. In classical mechanics, we have various dynamical variables expressed as functions on phase space. A particular (class of) systems is characterized by the Lie algebra formed among the dynamical variables using Poisson brackets. Quantization is then the procedure of representing this same Lie algebra as operators on a Hilbert space. This deceptively simple step has stunningly far-reaching consequences.

(Sorry if this answer is at the wrong level. If you haven't yet studied Hamiltonian mechanics and Poisson brackets, this won't make much sense.)

Likes I'mnotarobot, bhobba and Ravi Mohan
Interesting, I have studied Hamiltonian mechanics a bit, as in I do know how to apply hamiltonian dynamics for the equation of motion. However, some of the derivations at the time were a bit hard to follow and the terms here I do recognize but it seems we never went to deep into it. Thank you for your reply, I feel I will be understanding exactly what you said very soon, and it seems to be a bit more complex as I hoped. That's ok though, I'm very fascinated by your reply, gives me something to look into! Thanks!

Thank you @strangerep and @bhobba

I'mnotarobot said:
photons are essentially these "packages" of energy?
Yes. This is by far the best way to understand photons in experiments, although one has to be a bit careful since there are two slightly different uses of the word photon. See http://arnold-neumaier.at/ms/lightslides.pdf

Last edited:
Likes I'mnotarobot
Thank you!

Last edited:
Likes I'mnotarobot

What is quantization?

Quantization is the process of breaking a continuous variable into discrete values. In the context of photon energy packages, it refers to the idea that light is composed of discrete packets of energy called photons, rather than being continuous.

Why is quantization important in understanding photon energy packages?

Quantization is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of light and how it behaves. It also allows us to accurately measure and predict the energy of photons, which is crucial in many applications such as in the field of optics.

How does quantization relate to the wave-particle duality of light?

Quantization is a key concept in the wave-particle duality of light. While light is commonly described as a wave, it also exhibits properties of particles, and quantization explains how these particles (photons) are discrete packets of energy rather than being continuous.

What is Planck's constant and how is it related to quantization?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is used in the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency. This equation helps us understand the quantized nature of photons and their energy levels.

How does quantization differ from discretization?

Quantization and discretization are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Discretization refers to the process of dividing a continuous variable into a finite number of intervals, while quantization involves breaking a continuous variable into discrete values. In the context of photon energy packages, quantization is a more accurate term as it refers to the specific energy levels that photons can possess.