What Is Reality? Can Anyone Define It?

• Thread starter Graviton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, reality is a concept that humans use to interpret and make sense of their perceptions. It is not something that exists independently of our minds, but rather a construct created by our brains. Our understanding of reality is limited and subjective, and can be altered through different perspectives and practices. Ultimately, reality is a complex and ever-evolving concept that is shaped by our individual perceptions and experiences.
JoeDawg said:
I'm not making any kind of assumption about the self. The self appears to exist.

But seriously, you should settle on a topic and try and examine it thoroughly before making pronouncements.

You're not talking about anything new here. But none of that is scientific by the way.

The self "appears" to exist? Where's the proof? Scientific proof? If there is only debate, then stop assuming. Then the answer is: There is no self.

All the "ranting" leads to that one question. All of it. Does the self exist?

"None of that is scientific" -- Nor is assuming the self exists. That is an assumption, based on an "appearance" or a "belief", nothing scientific. All other beliefs, observations, senses, memories, all of them are all based on that one unfounded belief, in the "self". Get rid of that unfounded, unscientific belief, and everything totally changes. Cling to a belief that is unfounded = religion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the proof? Scientific proof?

Again, you are confused. Science deals with evidence, theory, laws, and hypothesis.
Not proofs. No proof for you!

Proofs are used in things like mathematics.
For another example Look up: "Deductive reasoning"

I'm not assuming anything. I was detailing several different positions.

"There is no self" is an assumption.
Read some Descartes, then get back to me. Repeating yourself is just not convincing.

interesting this reminds me of berkeley... i have to agree with Nova. although i do NOT think that we can perceive reality directly at all ever

my reasoning for humans not being able to perceive reality directly is just the fact that we CAN NOT know for sure if what we are perceiving is in fact REAL at all unless we have pure perception from some omnipresent location which we can not do so there's no point in thinking about doing that... maybe we can get closer to 'viewing' what we think is more accurate than what we saw before but how do we know this to be valid the fact that we don't know if what we perceive is ever real is unfalsifiable.

as for the discussion about the self that has come i do not think humans have a 'self' as well it is just illusory strange eh? but i don't see how a 'self' can exist it just makes no sense

so yeah we can never know reality more than how we perceive it and we can never be certain of a fundamental reality THEREFORE reality to us is exactly whatever we perceive it to be whether or not its fundamental or not since we can not know we shouldn't bother bringing it any further

JoeDawg said:
Again, you are confused. Science deals with evidence, theory, laws, and hypothesis.
Not proofs. No proof for you!

Proofs are used in things like mathematics.
For another example Look up: "Deductive reasoning"

I'm not assuming anything. I was detailing several different positions.

"There is no self" is an assumption.
Read some Descartes, then get back to me. Repeating yourself is just not convincing.

i think evidence from science points to humans having no self.

Sorry! said:
i think evidence from science points to humans having no self.

Ok, I'll bite, what is your evidence?

well the biggest would be libet's experiment which showed that conscious awareness does not arrive until half a second after something occurs...

how can it control us then as the self is supposed to do?

everything in our universe is made of the same matter from the big bang we shouldn't try to make ourselves special in anyway by giving ourselves something spiritual that exists regardless of what is 'carrying' it.
even if it did exist.. is it physical? mental? neither? what is it then... where is it located how does it work?

i also think that the burden of scientific evidence should be placed on showing the self exist or is likely to exist just as the burden of does such and such a god exist should be placed on the believers.

Sorry! said:
well the biggest would be libet's experiment which showed that conscious awareness does not arrive until half a second after something occurs...

Its certainly an interesting experiment, but epiphenomenalism has its problems too.

You might find these interesting as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will#neuroscience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphenomenalism#Some_critical_responses

what is it then... where is it located how does it work?

It relates to how complex systems work, no supernatural agency necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergentism

JoeDawg said:
Its certainly an interesting experiment, but epiphenomenalism has its problems too.

You might find these interesting as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will#neuroscience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphenomenalism#Some_critical_responses

It relates to how complex systems work, no supernatural agency necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergentism

never heard of emergentism before hmmph :P thanks for link..

just to clarify it is stating that when simple parts combine to form more complex systems properties emerge in the system that could not have been previously expected? i could accept this version of a 'self' (gonna read a bit more about it...)when i was thinking of a self i thought more of a spirtual 'its me' type of thing :P

:::EDIT:::
ok i was thinking about this just now while looking for more information about it... and i can't seem to get past the 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' approach emergentism takes. As i was saying before we can only know reality as we perceive it. When i look at say a dog i know I'm looking at a dog but what makes the dog? It can be broken down further and further until you reach the fundamental particles. and that's all that is there really and you can only explain seeing the dog by considering the facts about positions etc of fundamental particles. so how can something emerge from the fundamental particles that is not logically consistent with what they are capable of anyways.

or am i misunderstanding something about emergentism

Last edited:
Sorry! said:
or am i misunderstanding something about emergentism

I'm not a expert, but I think the idea goes along the same lines as this:

If you have a room filled with Hydrogen and Oxygen, and you light a match, that would be bad.
But if that same room was filled with Water, its not the fire you have to worry about, its drowning.

When the atoms combine to form water, you are not adding together the properties of hydrogen and water. Water has completely different, or new properties, compared to either hydrogen or oxygen. The whole (of water) is NOT just the sum of the parts.

JoeDawg said:
I'm not a expert, but I think the idea goes along the same lines as this:

If you have a room filled with Hydrogen and Oxygen, and you light a match, that would be bad.
But if that same room was filled with Water, its not the fire you have to worry about, its drowning.

When the atoms combine to form water, you are not adding together the properties of hydrogen and water. Water has completely different, or new properties, compared to either hydrogen or oxygen. The whole (of water) is NOT just the sum of the parts.

i'm sure that when scientist are making new compounds they know what form the compound will take and don't just wing it...? this is because they would have a general understanding of how the elements work and how they react and why. so if they looked at hydrogen and oxygen I'm sure they would figure out that it will make a liquid when they come together to form a stable compound (h2o).

this means its the sum of the parts makes the whole and no more.

Sorry! said:
i'm sure that when scientist are making new compounds they know what form the compound will take and don't just wing it...? this is because they would have a general understanding of how the elements work and how they react and why. so if they looked at hydrogen and oxygen I'm sure they would figure out that it will make a liquid when they come together to form a stable compound (h2o).

this means its the sum of the parts makes the whole and no more.

You're sure?? My understanding of science is that scientists do an experiment and then note the results. And its often NOT what they thought it would be.

People used to think water/earth/air/fire were the elements. It sure seemed logical at the time. Then they actually started doing experiments. Its only after scientists did a huge number of these experiments that they discovered molecules and the elements of the periodic table.

Now, I'm not a chemist, so I really have no idea. But that was simply 'my example', something that came off the top of my head. Take it literally or as an analogy. Clearly water is not what most people would think of as a complex system. And complex systems are what emergence is all about. But the idea behind emergence is that when things combine 'new' properties, that don't belong to either part, 'emerge'.

I'm not even advocating this position, but I find in interesting, and i find reductionism, especially when it comes to consciousness unsatisfying, and really we're only scratching the surface with regards to neuroscience so I'd say the jury is still out.

JoeDawg said:
I don't think I would go so far, 'reason' implies some understanding of cause/effect. While its true this is what we generally experience, its not a certainty. It *could be* a random event, therefore, no 'reason'. What I would say is that the perception is part of reality. You can't deny the feeling. Its either there or not. What the feeling indicates... that's more problematic.

I suppose, for clarity, I should've said a cause, not a reason.

On the other topic of the mind/brain/spirit/whatever:

I was told my computer ran Windows, and that it was in the hard drive, but when I took the hard drive apart, all I found were chipboards, wires, and magnetic platters. I took a microscope to the platters but I couldn't see Windows there anywhere. Then someone told me I had to use magnetic sensors to read the platters, but then all I found were ones and zeroes (in reality, not even that, just on/off states). I don't suggest you cut your brain open hoping to find a mind in there.

Anticitizen said:
I don't suggest you cut your brain open hoping to find a mind in there.

I think the preferred method is using an fMRI. Less messy.

Anticitizen said:
I suppose, for clarity, I should've said a cause, not a reason.

On the other topic of the mind/brain/spirit/whatever:

I was told my computer ran Windows, and that it was in the hard drive, but when I took the hard drive apart, all I found were chipboards, wires, and magnetic platters. I took a microscope to the platters but I couldn't see Windows there anywhere. Then someone told me I had to use magnetic sensors to read the platters, but then all I found were ones and zeroes (in reality, not even that, just on/off states). I don't suggest you cut your brain open hoping to find a mind in there.

Oh my god, that is awesome... you get it!

All of my crazy-sounding messages ALL point to this same thing... everything, everything, everything that you THINK exists in Reality, doesn't. And most importantly, that means YOU.

When you finally get that, then understand the implications, everything, everything, everything changes.

However, I wouldn't say that the implication is that there is no 'self' or no 'mind', only that they are not anything that exists independently of the brain. As I said in the 'non-physical universe' thread, I think consciousness is a process that the physical brain performs, not a 'noun' in its own right. If that makes sense.

Sort of how a symphony piece is a process of the performing orchestra. When the instruments stop moving, the process halts.

Huh. Cosmic weirdness. It's windy outside, and after I typed my previous post concerning the orchestra, my mind wandered, and I thought about the idea a wind-powered music box... and naturally did a google search for 'wind-powered music box.' The third result led to a physicsforums thread :)

Anticitizen said:
However, I wouldn't say that the implication is that there is no 'self' or no 'mind', only that they are not anything that exists independently of the brain. As I said in the 'non-physical universe' thread, I think consciousness is a process that the physical brain performs, not a 'noun' in its own right. If that makes sense.

Sort of how a symphony piece is a process of the performing orchestra. When the instruments stop moving, the process halts.

So where is the "symphony piece"? It is a concept in human minds. Where is a constellation? It is a concept in human minds. Where does the dark side of the moon end and the light side begin? Only in a mind. When you see two things, where is "two"? There is no such thing as "two", that is only a concept in a mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_object . Where do "you" end and where does "other" begin? That is only in the mind. Why not give up this silly notion that there is a "you" entirely? That is infinitely closer to Reality. And then the implications!

Nova, the mind may be nothing more than what the brain "does". This is not a novel concept. Please acquaint yourself with readings on the philosophy of mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind

We have wandered far from the topic here. You've given us too much story with too little punchline.

Last edited: