Understanding Reverse HFE in Transistors for Audio Circuit Protection

• Thread starter bitrex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reverse
In summary, the 2SC2878 transistor in this synthesizer schematic has a "reverse Hfe" value, which refers to the hfe value when emitter and collector are swapped. This transistor is being used in a power on muting circuit to protect speakers against turn-on thumps. The reverse Hfe value is typically less than 0.1 and makes it a poor amplifier but a good switch. This transistor is chosen because it works well with either polarity on its collector due to the AC signal being shunted to ground.
bitrex
What is "reverse Hfe"?

Hey everyone, I'm looking over a synthesizer schematic that has a 2SC2878 transistor in shunt with the main output - I think it's connected up in some kind of power on muting circuit for protecting speakers against turn-on thumps. Interestingly, this transistor has something called "Reverse Hfe" - I assume this means for an NPN transistor it will turn on if the base-emitter junction is negatively biased as well as positively? I've looked on the web and can't seem to find a good explanation of how such a transistor would be manufactured.

The datasheet for the device is here: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-38/DSA-757294.pdf

The circuit in question is: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9071/alphajuno.th.jpg

Any insight into how this circuit works would be appreciated - I guess it somehow keeps the 2SC2878 turned on until the positive and negative rails stabilize?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It's referring to the hfe value when emitter & collector are swapped. This is referred to as inverse or reverse mode of operation.

The reverse hfe value is typically less than 0.1, more like 0.02 or so. In this mode, the bjt makes a lousy amplifier, but an outstanding switch. In the reverse mode, when driven into saturation, the collector-emitter voltage drop, Vcesat, can be tens of millivolts. That is hard to achieve in the normal, or forward mode.

Claude

Last edited:

bitrex said:
Hey everyone, I'm looking over a synthesizer schematic that has a 2SC2878 transistor in shunt with the main output - I think it's connected up in some kind of power on muting circuit for protecting speakers against turn-on thumps. Interestingly, this transistor has something called "Reverse Hfe" - I assume this means for an NPN transistor it will turn on if the base-emitter junction is negatively biased as well as positively? I've looked on the web and can't seem to find a good explanation of how such a transistor would be manufactured.

All transistors have a reverse Hfe as you can always reverse the position of the collector and emitter. It's equivalent (but not strictly identical - Hfe is large signal, BF is small signal hybrid-pi) to the SPICE parameter BR just as BF is equivalent Hfe.

If you operating the amplifier as an amplifier, the lower the reverse gain the better because it represents a "parasitic" reverse BJT operating in the opposite direction. Amplifiers are closer to ideal when they are unilateral in gain. As @cabraham says, having forward and reverse transistor characteristics bilateral (equal) makes for a bad amplifier but a good (bilateral) switch. An asymmetric device can be a good switch if the switched current will be flowing in only one direction (collector to emitter) like an amplifier.

Because this transistor effectively has AC on its collector, they have chosen a transistor that works well with either polarity on it.

It has AC on it because it is being used to shunt capacitively coupled signals to ground.

1. What is Reverse HFE?

Reverse HFE, also known as Reverse Human Factors Engineering, is a method used to identify and analyze the potential negative impacts of a product, system, or technology on human users. It involves assessing the design and usability of a product from the perspective of the user to improve its effectiveness, safety, and user experience.

2. Why is Reverse HFE important?

Reverse HFE helps to ensure that products are designed with the user in mind, ultimately leading to better user satisfaction and reduced risk of harm. It also helps to identify potential design flaws and usability issues early on in the development process, saving time and resources in the long run.

3. What is the difference between Reverse HFE and traditional Human Factors Engineering?

The main difference between Reverse HFE and traditional Human Factors Engineering is the direction of analysis. Traditional HFE focuses on designing products to fit the capabilities and limitations of human users, while Reverse HFE focuses on identifying potential negative impacts of the product on the user.

4. How is Reverse HFE conducted?

Reverse HFE involves conducting user research, usability testing, and evaluation of the product design to identify potential negative impacts on the user. This can include analyzing user behavior, cognitive processes, and physical abilities to determine how they may interact with the product.

5. Who can benefit from Reverse HFE?

Reverse HFE can benefit a wide range of industries and products, including consumer products, medical devices, transportation systems, and software applications. Essentially, any product that is used by humans can benefit from the principles of Reverse HFE to improve user satisfaction and safety.