What is the angular velocity of the drill bit in radians per second?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Precursor
Messages
219
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This problem is for a cordless drill.

[PLAIN]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8531/drill1.jpg


Homework Equations


[PLAIN]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3511/drill2.jpg

where N denotes number of teeth
w denotes angular velocity


The Attempt at a Solution


This is the work I have done so far:

[tex]\frac{9}{45} = \frac{x-720}{3600-x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3600-x}{5} = x-720[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{5}{6}(1440)[/tex]

[tex]x = 1200 rpm[/tex]

I don't think I have completed the problem. Could someone please varify my work and show me what to do next?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to be correct, so far. One used Nring*wring = Nsun*wsun to obtain wring?

One has to convert revolutions per minute to radians per minute or per second. How many radians in a revolution?