What is the Antiderivative of 5\sqrt{}x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
jimen113
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



the antiderivative for 5[tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



It almost looks like the derivative of the function [tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int 5\sqrt{x} = \int 5x^{1/2}[/tex]

So just use the power rule for integrals.
 
revised

the actual problem is:
Evaluate the definite integral [tex]\int^{7}_{1}[/tex] 5/[tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]
using the power rule I got:
5[(x^3/2)/(3/2)] evaluating them at the end points 1 and 7, the answer I get after using FTC II is:-58.400 and is incorrect.
What am I doing wrong? please help
 
Do you mean [tex]\int_1^7 \frac{5}{\sqrt{x}} \ dx[/tex]?

If so, then x^(3/2) shouldn't be part of your answer.
 
Defennnder said:
Do you mean [tex]\int_1^7 \frac{5}{\sqrt{x}} \ dx[/tex]?

If so, then x^(3/2) shouldn't be part of your answer.
Yes (to part one)
then how should I find the antiderivative? for 5/[tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]
 
You must first find the antiderivate for [tex]x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. Use the power rule for integrals as Feldoh said.