What is the approximate impedance of an RF plasma "antenna"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in finding data on the approximate impedance needed to excite a vacuum vessel to plasma state. The speakers also share their experiences with using different power and impedance levels for plasma excitation, and discuss the different mechanisms for DC and RF breakdown. They also mention their plans for designing an RF amplifier for testing and future research on plasma cleaning.
Voltux
I've searched high and low for data regarding this from scientific papers to books and I cannot find anything in regards to the approximate impedance to excite a vacuum vessel to plasma state.

In particular I want to built a RF Plasma cleaning chamber, however, I am not sure how to design the matching network for the field. I have tried using low power ~2W approximately 20-50ohms impedance, however, I was unable to create a plasma.

I have been reading that the required RF power to excite a gas to plasma state decreases quite a large amount as it approaches a vacuum and then shoots up exponentially as the vacuum level approaches a perfect vacuum.

Anyway, what sort of impedance should I design my RF amplifier with in order to excite some plasma? Does anyone happen to have data on this? Typically I would determine this experimentally, but I lack a tunable matching network and since I plan on designing this amplifier from the ground up it would be easier to get an idea of what impedance to expect!

Physics news on Phys.org
If we pump down a glass tube of air and try to pass a discharge through it, I know from experiment that it requires about 5 kV DC. I suggest using a parallel tuned circuit to step up your power to several kV. It seems probable that the plasma is a non linear load anyway, so the impedance will change with power.

tech99 said:
If we pump down a glass tube of air and try to pass a discharge through it, I know from experiment that it requires about 5 kV DC. I suggest using a parallel tuned circuit to step up your power to several kV. It seems probable that the plasma is a non linear load anyway, so the impedance will change with power.
I also understand from a colleague that to excite a 12 inch fluorescent tube with RF he requires about 10W of RF or more.

From my understanding the excitation of plasma has different mechanisms for DC breakdown vs RF. I believe the RF is a means of magnetic excitation whereas the DC breaks off an electron or something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have done the DC method and I believe I used about 3kV under vacuum in a glass bottle. I'm sure this differs depending on distance. I've also heard that you can more easily ignite plasma via RF if you have a heating element to send out electrons to "strike" the plasma.

The problem with the DC method was that my connectors got so hot to the point it was melting my vacuum tubing, and cracked my glass vessel. I'd like to try the RF method using a 13.56MHz RF source. The problem is that I've heard everything from 3kOhm to mOhm impedance and I'm not sure how to go about that. I just recently tried to ignite a plasma ball with a few watts but I had nothing.

So I'm looking at designing a small 15W RF Amplifier to play around with for testing, and then building a 100W system once I understand the matching bit more so I don't waste a $30 FET. I'd love to start some research into thin films, deposition, and play around with plasma cleaning!

Voltux said:
From my understanding the excitation of plasma has different mechanisms for DC breakdown vs RF. I believe the RF is a means of magnetic excitation whereas the DC breaks off an electron or something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have done the DC method and I believe I used about 3kV under vacuum in a glass bottle. I'm sure this differs depending on distance. I've also heard that you can more easily ignite plasma via RF if you have a heating element to send out electrons to "strike" the plasma.

The problem with the DC method was that my connectors got so hot to the point it was melting my vacuum tubing, and cracked my glass vessel. I'd like to try the RF method using a 13.56MHz RF source. The problem is that I've heard everything from 3kOhm to mOhm impedance and I'm not sure how to go about that. I just recently tried to ignite a plasma ball with a few watts but I had nothing.

So I'm looking at designing a small 15W RF Amplifier to play around with for testing, and then building a 100W system once I understand the matching bit more so I don't waste a $30 FET. I'd love to start some research into thin films, deposition, and play around with plasma cleaning!
You could experiment with DC and RF operation of the little NE2 neon bulb, which requires about 100 volts.

What is an RF plasma "antenna"?

An RF plasma "antenna" is a type of antenna that uses a plasma discharge to generate and radiate electromagnetic waves. Unlike traditional metal antennas, which use conductive elements to transmit and receive signals, an RF plasma "antenna" utilizes the ionized gas of a plasma to create and manipulate electromagnetic fields.

What is the purpose of an RF plasma "antenna"?

The purpose of an RF plasma "antenna" is to transmit and receive radio frequency signals. The plasma discharge can be controlled to create a highly directional and tunable antenna, making it useful for a variety of applications such as communication, radar, and sensing.

What factors affect the impedance of an RF plasma "antenna"?

The impedance of an RF plasma "antenna" is affected by several factors, including the composition and pressure of the gas used in the plasma, the size and shape of the antenna, and the frequency of the electromagnetic waves being transmitted. Additionally, the impedance can also be influenced by external factors such as the surrounding environment and any nearby objects.

How is the approximate impedance of an RF plasma "antenna" calculated?

The calculation of the impedance of an RF plasma "antenna" is a complex process and may vary depending on the specific design and configuration of the antenna. Generally, it involves analyzing the plasma's electrical properties, the geometry of the antenna, and the electromagnetic fields generated by the plasma discharge.

What are the advantages of using an RF plasma "antenna" compared to traditional metal antennas?

One of the main advantages of an RF plasma "antenna" is its tunability. By adjusting the properties of the plasma, the antenna can be tuned to operate at different frequencies, making it versatile and adaptable for different applications. Additionally, the plasma "antenna" can be made smaller and lighter than traditional metal antennas, making it suitable for use in compact devices and systems.