What is the average area of a cut on a sphere by a random plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
astroboy999
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given a sphere of radius r, what is the average area of a cut given by a random plane meeting the sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution


I just need someone to check my answer, and maybe suggest an alternative solution if there is a better one. I assumed that the cut is horizontal, then t in my integral below denotes the distance of the plane from the center of the sphere.

The answer is given by the integral
[tex]\frac{1}{r} \int_{0}^{r} 2 \pi (r^2 - t^2) dt[/tex]

and it works out to [tex]\frac{2 \pi r^2}{3}[/tex]

In particular, is there a clever solution that may not use an integral? I also may have made calculation mistakes, so I would be grateful if someone checks the answer for me... thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the initial factor of [tex]2[/tex] in the integral come from? The area of the disc cut by a plane at height [tex]t[/tex] is [tex]\pi(r^2 - t^2)[/tex], and you are averaging this over the interval [tex]t\in[0,r][/tex].
 
Well, don't I want to average over the interval [-r, r]? But maybe I needed the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{2r}[/tex], instead of [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex]. Is that correct?
 
By symmetry, it doesn't matter -- but you must be consistent. You must either integrate from [tex]-r[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex] and divide by [tex]2r[/tex], or integrate from [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]r[/tex] and divide by [tex]r[/tex]. Either way, the integrand should be [tex]\pi(r^2 - t^2)\,dt[/tex], without a factor of [tex]2[/tex].