What is the Chain Rule for Integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral of a function using the chain rule. It involves substituting variables and back substituting to find the final result, which is the integral of the original function.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny\text{Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule} $
$$\displaystyle
I=\int { \left({t}^{3/2}+47\right)^3 \sqrt{t} } \ d{t}
={ \left({t}^{3/2}+{47}^{}\right)^4/6 } + C$$
$$\begin{align}
\displaystyle
u& = {t}^{3/2}+47&
du&=\frac{3}{2}{t}^{1/2} \ d{t}& \\
\end{align}$$

$$I=\frac{3}{2}\int\left({u}\right)^3 du $$

Don't see the answer coming from this?

$\tiny\text
{from Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's take a look at your substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=t^{\frac{3}{2}}+47\,\therefore\,du=\frac{3}{2}t^{\frac{1}{2}}\,dt\implies dt=\frac{2}{3}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

So, we now have:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{2}{3}\int u^3\,du\)

You only made a minor error in your substitution for $dt$...now you will get the stated result. :D

$\tiny\text{Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule} $
$$\displaystyle
I=\int { \left({t}^{3/2}+47\right)^3 \sqrt{t} } \ d{t}
={ \left({t}^{3/2}+{47}^{}\right)^4/6 } + C$$
$$\begin{align}
\displaystyle
u& = {t}^{3/2}+47&
du&=\frac{3}{2}{t}^{1/2} \ d{t}& \\
\end{align}$$

$$I=\frac{2}{3}\int u^3 du
= \frac{2}{3}\cdot\frac{u^4}{4}
=\frac{u^4}{6}$$

Back substittute

$$I=\frac{\left({t}^{3/2}+47\right)^4 }{6}+C$$$\tiny\text
{from Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄

Related to What is the Chain Rule for Integration?

1. What is the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule?

The Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It is named after mathematician George Whitman, who first introduced it in 1878.

2. How does the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule work?

The Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it allows us to break down a complex function into smaller, more manageable parts to find its derivative.

3. When should the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule be used?

The Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule should be used when the function is a composition of two or more functions, such as f(g(x)). It is particularly useful when the functions involved have complicated algebraic expressions or involve trigonometric or exponential functions.

4. What is the formula for the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule?

The formula for the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule is: (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). This can also be written as: d/dx[f(g(x))] = f'(g(x)) * g'(x), where f' and g' represent the derivatives of the outer and inner functions, respectively.

5. How is the Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule related to the product and quotient rules?

The Whitman 8.7.18 chain rule is closely related to the product and quotient rules, as all three are methods for finding derivatives. The product rule is used when the function is a product of two functions, while the quotient rule is used when the function is a quotient of two functions. The chain rule is used when the function is a composition of two or more functions.