1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the change in its thermodynamic temperature?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    A thermometer has a quartz body within which is sealed a total volume of 0.410 cm3 of mercury. The stem contains a cylindrical hole with a bore diameter of 0.10 mm. How far does the mercury column extend in the process of rising from 10°C to 86°C? Neglect any change in volume of the quartz.

I know how to do this problem, using V=V0(1+B*delta t). I just cannot find the expansion coefficient. can anyone help me out? ive been searching on the web for 15 minutes and i keep finding physics labs and crap, but no tables with values for expansion coefficients.

I dont have the text book for my class which has all the values in it so im kinda SOL.

A block of steel is heated from 10F to 110F. What is the change in its thermodynamic temperature?

Is this one as simple as i think it is? Is the answer just 100? that seems way to easy to me but i dont see what else it would be asking.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Consider this - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thexp2.html#c3

Thermal expansion coefficient of mercury is 182 x 10-6/ºC at 20ºC

Density of Hg at 300K = 13529 kg/m3, and density at 350K = 13407 kg/3.

Data from F. Incropera and D. De Witt, "Fundamentals of Heat Transfer", John Wiley & Sons, 1981, Table A.5, "Thermophysical Properties of Saturated Liquids."

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics should also have these data.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?