What is the circuit desighn within op amp?

In summary, the circuit design of an op amp (operational amplifier) is a complex and crucial aspect of its functionality. It involves the arrangement of internal components such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors, and the connections between them to achieve the desired amplification and filtering capabilities. The design also includes considerations for stability, linearity, and noise performance, which are essential for accurate signal processing. Overall, the circuit design of an op amp plays a significant role in its overall performance and is continuously evolving to meet the demands of various applications.
Hyperspace2
I am first year student 0f electronics and communication engineering.
I have a course called basic electronics.
I have already learn't bjt,jfet,mosfet,diff amplifier etc, now its turn of op amp.
And I can't move on without knowing what is within op amp. Pictures shows Triangle and +,- within it. What is the meaning of inverting and non inverting input? Whats the physical meaning. Anyone please help me explain in very simple language. English is not my first language. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A signal fed into the + input (non-inverting) will produce an output signal that is in phase with the input signal. A signal fed into the - input (inverting) will produce an output signal that is 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal. This is for single ended operation, where the input signal is at one end and the other end is grounded.

If you take a closer look at how a discrete differential amplifier works, it might help.

Thanks user091024 for the reply and also thanks for explaining the meaning of inverting and non inverting input? Can you also explain the inner structure of op amp . Is the circuit inside the op amp too complicated that the begineers shouldn't try to focus at it.

http://www.circuitstoday.com/op-amps-operational-amplifiers
n:ANd9GcSZp9K5xL77nu01xzhsAYzie9v2N5523B7IA58ceg6-5rG3RBA&t=1&usg=__uzWaS4OuAJr3m3iIywGnnF18B_A=.png

http://www.edaboard.com/thread137646.html
92_1226159419.gif

Thanks Granpa. I got it

500px-OpAmpTransistorLevel_Colored_Labeled.svg.png

This is a circuit diagram of the components inside a LM741 opamp.
As you can see, it uses 20 transistors, although not all of them are being used as amplifiers.

It is probably sufficient to say that opamps have huge gains and you probably don't need to worry about exactly how they work internally.

You might like to read about op amps here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op_amp
That is where the above circuit comes from.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
500px-OpAmpTransistorLevel_Colored_Labeled.svg.png

This is a circuit diagram of the components inside a LM741 opamp.
As you can see, it uses 20 transistors, although not all of them are being used as amplifiers.

It is probably sufficient to say that opamps have huge gains and you probably don't need to worry about exactly how they work internally.

You might like to read about op amps here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op_amp
That is where the above circuit comes from.

Thanks . The pics are really complicated for me though.

n:ANd9GcSZp9K5xL77nu01xzhsAYzie9v2N5523B7IA58ceg6-5rG3RBA&t=1&usg=__uzWaS4OuAJr3m3iIywGnnF18B_A=.png

the pic looks complicated but it isnt.
if each of the transistors gives 100 fold amplification then
the 2 together give 10,000 fold amplification.

But then you send part of the output back through a resistor (call it R) to the negative input and
thereby self-limit the amplification to 100 fold amplification.

Why would you do that?
I was told that it makes the op amp a sort of 'idealized transistor'.
A transistor that behaves more or less exactly the way you expect a transistor to behave.
It also allows you to precisely determine the amount of amplification by changing the value of R

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages and outputs the result. It is commonly used in circuit design to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and integration.

2. What is the purpose of op amps in circuit design?

The main purpose of op amps in circuit design is to amplify weak signals and perform mathematical operations. They can also be used to provide signal conditioning, impedance matching, and buffering.

3. What are the basic components of an op amp circuit?

The basic components of an op amp circuit include an inverting input, a non-inverting input, and an output. It also has power supplies, resistors, and capacitors to control the amplification and other properties of the circuit.

4. How do you choose the right op amp for a specific circuit design?

Choosing the right op amp for a circuit design depends on factors such as the required gain, bandwidth, power supply, and input/output impedance. Other considerations include the type of signal being amplified and the temperature range of the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of op amp circuits?

Op amp circuits have a wide range of applications in various fields, including audio amplification, signal processing, instrumentation, and control systems. They are also commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and medical equipment.