What is the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation in basic kinematics?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
1,164
wrobel submitted a new PF Insights post

Basics Kinematics

basickinematics.png


Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here in Germany this is usually taught in the theory course (at Goethe University Frankfurt even already in the 1st semester!) in the context of rigid-body motion (basic theory of the spinning top).
 
E.g., you find it in

Kibble, Berkshire, Classical Mechanics, Imperial College Press

I guess, in fact, you find it in any university theoretical-physics textbook.
 
I think that the title is a bit misleading. This is not "basic kinematics". For most people, or at least for me, basic kinematics are the kinematical equations that intro physics students see for motion with constant acceleration.

This article, which include rigid body motion and coriolis force, is way more advanced than those kinematical equations.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: guitarphysics and Vibhor
Hello, I have tried to expand my horizon on "basic" kinematics and I run into the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation. Have you heard about it before?

If so, I have some follow up questions. Thanks