What is the Correct Definition of Dynamic Resistance and Resistivity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 27K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
25,837
Reaction score
258
I'm confused about dynamic resistance.

The definition I've seen is Rd = dV/dI.

Is it also ok to write it Rd = d(IR)/dI, so that Rd = R + I dR/dI ?

I couldn't find a straightforward definition for dynamic resistivity at all …

is it ρd = d(Iρ)dI = ρ + I dρ/dI ?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dynamic resistance is dV / dI. It is often used to refer to the dynamic forward resistance of a diode junction, or the dynamic resistance of a zener diode junction.
 
If RD = dV/dI, then a reasonable definition for dynamic resistivity would be
ρD = dE/dJ,​

where E is electric field and J is the current density.