What is the Current and Future Job Market for PhD Physicists in the US?

In summary, the US Department of Labor predicts that the competition for jobs up through 2014 is going to be competitive. Can anyone who currently holds a PhD in physics tell me what the job market is like in academia and in industry. Which industrys hire the highest percentage of physicists in the US and where do you guys think the demand will be for physicist outside of academia in the in the future? Let's say about 5-10 years from now. Also I would like to know, what what kind of physicist has the highest demand in our current market?
fournier17
I couldn't find any threads by using the search function on this topic. The US department of labor predicts that the competion for jobs up through 2014 is going to be competitive. Can anyone who currently holds a PhD in physics tell me what the job market is like in academia and in industry. Which industrys hire the highest percentage of physicists in the US and where do you guys think the demand will be for physicist outside of academia in the in the future? Let's say about 5-10 years from now. Also I would like to know, what what kind of physicist has the highest demand in our current market?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you could become a college professor. those are always in demand...sometimes kinda in a way

or try to get a job with jpl/nasa

Not a physicist, but I have read that the next 10 or so years will be a good time to get into physics. Basically, during the cold war there was a huge demand for boomers and pre-boomers in the area of physics for research and development and such. The level of demand was met and there was a huge bulge of physicists in those years around which industry formed. Now these cold war era physicists are beginning to retire and expire thus opening up a rich cavity of opportunities for young physicists.

QuestionEveryDeduction

I like to look at the AIP statistics -- http://www.aip.org/statistics/
There are lots of stats on employment trends over time and in different areas and different degree levels.

Considering undergrad degrees have been pretty steady at ~5k/year, grad degrees increased drastically in the Cold War era to ~1-1.5k/year but has hence remained fairly steady (with some significant dips and a projected increase to about the peak of Cold war production)... I think it bodes well (for "our" employment... not really for our society). The number of university degrees conferred in all fields has increased from the 60's/70's... but the number of physics graduates is about the same? Yikes.

While demand in general will probably be high, US citizens may have some opportunities that foreign-born scientists cannot have... due to both visa regulations and some restrictions on positions in military-industrial-complex work.

Related to What is the Current and Future Job Market for PhD Physicists in the US?

1. What is the current job market like for PhDs in physics?

The job market for PhDs in physics is highly competitive, but there are still many opportunities available. In general, there is a high demand for physicists in industries such as technology, energy, and healthcare. However, the number of available academic positions is limited, so it is important for PhDs to be open to pursuing careers in non-academic fields as well.

2. What types of jobs can a PhD in physics qualify for?

PhDs in physics can qualify for a wide range of jobs, including research positions in academia, government labs, and private companies. They can also pursue careers in fields such as data science, engineering, consulting, and finance. Many PhDs in physics also go on to work in science policy and education.

3. What skills do PhDs in physics possess that are valued by employers?

PhDs in physics possess a variety of valuable skills, including strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, advanced mathematical and computational skills, and the ability to conduct independent research. They also have excellent critical thinking, communication, and teamwork skills, which are highly valued in many industries.

4. Is it necessary to have a postdoctoral position after obtaining a PhD in physics?

While it is not necessary to have a postdoctoral position after obtaining a PhD in physics, it is a common path for many graduates. Postdoctoral positions allow PhDs to gain additional research experience, develop new skills, and build their professional network. However, some PhDs may choose to directly enter the job market or pursue other opportunities after completing their degree.

5. How can I increase my chances of finding a job as a PhD in physics?

To increase your chances of finding a job as a PhD in physics, it is important to develop a strong network of professional contacts, both within and outside of academia. Attend conferences, participate in research collaborations, and engage with industry professionals to expand your network. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs. It is also important to tailor your resume and cover letter to each job application and highlight the skills and experiences that are most relevant to the position.