What is the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6]

In summary, the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6] can be solved using the formula du/a^2+u^2 = 1/a*tan^-1(u/a)+C without the need for u substitution. The answer is pi/24, which can also be obtained by using the integration table and evaluating it from 0 to 6. Alternatively, u substitution can also be used by factoring out a 36 in the denominator and letting u = x/6.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

What is the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6]?

I've only been taught U substitution to handle problems like these. I let u = 36+x^2 and du=2xdx but I am stuck and don't know what to do. Te answer is pi/24 but I don't know how to obtain it.

Is there a better u to choose? if so, what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What is [itex]\frac{d}{du}\tan^{-1}(u)[/itex]?

U substitution isn't needed. Look at an integration table.

Hint: The function being integrated takes the shape of 1/(x2+a2)

Okay, I used that formula u gave me although in my book it is written as

du/a^2+u^2 = 1/a*tan^-1(u/a)+C

But I had to evaluate it with a calculator [0, 6]

1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0) = 0.1308 which is about pi/24

How would I solve it without a calculator?

Chandasouk said:
Okay, I used that formula u gave me although in my book it is written as

du/a^2+u^2 = 1/a*tan^-1(u/a)+C

But I had to evaluate it with a calculator [0, 6]

1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0) = 0.1308 which is about pi/24

How would I solve it without a calculator?

Well, 1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0)=1/6*tan^-1(1)-0=1/6*tan^-1(1). So I guess you would need to know that tan^-1(1)=[tex]\pi[/tex]/4.

Keep in mind that [itex]u=\tan^{-1}(x)[/itex] means that [itex]\tan(u)=\frac{\sin(u)}{\cos(u)}=x[/itex]...so where does [itex]\frac{\sin(u)}{\cos(u)}[/itex] equal zero? Where does it equal one?

factor out a 36 in the denominator and in the denominator you'll get: 36(1+(x/6)^2)

let u = x/6 and when you take the derivative and substitute in the original, you should get:

(1/6)[1/(1 + u^2)] and integrate, remembering that 1/(1 + u^2) is tan^-1 u after you integrate, then you can go from there.

answer after you integrate is (1/6)arctan(x/6) + C..

then just evaluate it for 0 to 6

(1/6)arctan(6/6)-[(1/6)arctan(0/6)]

[(1/6)*(Pi/4)]-0= Pi/24

1. What is the definite integral?

The definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has both an integrand (the function being integrated) and bounds (the interval over which the integration is being performed).

2. How do you solve for the definite integral?

To solve for the definite integral of a given function, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus which states that the definite integral can be found by evaluating the antiderivative of the integrand at the upper and lower bounds and subtracting the two values.

3. What is the function being integrated in this case?

The function being integrated in this case is 1/(36+x^2). This is a rational function with a quadratic denominator and can be rewritten as 1/((6+x)(6-x)).

4. How do the given bounds [0, 6] affect the definite integral?

The given bounds [0, 6] represent the interval over which the definite integral is being evaluated. This means that the area under the curve of the function 1/(36+x^2) between x=0 and x=6 will be calculated.

5. Can the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6] be approximated?

Yes, the definite integral can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the interval into smaller subintervals and use the values of the function at specific points within each subinterval to estimate the area under the curve.