What is the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 17K views
Chandasouk
Messages
163
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the definite integral of 1/(36+x^2) with bounds [0, 6]?

I've only been taught U substitution to handle problems like these. I let u = 36+x^2 and du=2xdx but I am stuck and don't know what to do. Te answer is pi/24 but I don't know how to obtain it.

Is there a better u to choose? if so, what?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
U substitution isn't needed. Look at an integration table.

Hint: The function being integrated takes the shape of 1/(x2+a2)
 
Okay, I used that formula u gave me although in my book it is written as

du/a^2+u^2 = 1/a*tan^-1(u/a)+C

But I had to evaluate it with a calculator [0, 6]

1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0) = 0.1308 which is about pi/24

How would I solve it without a calculator?
 
Chandasouk said:
Okay, I used that formula u gave me although in my book it is written as

du/a^2+u^2 = 1/a*tan^-1(u/a)+C

But I had to evaluate it with a calculator [0, 6]

1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0) = 0.1308 which is about pi/24

How would I solve it without a calculator?

Well, 1/6*tan^-1(1)-1/6*tan^-1(0)=1/6*tan^-1(1)-0=1/6*tan^-1(1). So I guess you would need to know that tan^-1(1)=[tex]\pi[/tex]/4.
 
Keep in mind that [itex]u=\tan^{-1}(x)[/itex] means that [itex]\tan(u)=\frac{\sin(u)}{\cos(u)}=x[/itex]...so where does [itex]\frac{\sin(u)}{\cos(u)}[/itex] equal zero? Where does it equal one?
 
factor out a 36 in the denominator and in the denominator you'll get: 36(1+(x/6)^2)

let u = x/6 and when you take the derivative and substitute in the original, you should get:

(1/6)[1/(1 + u^2)] and integrate, remembering that 1/(1 + u^2) is tan^-1 u after you integrate, then you can go from there.
 
answer after you integrate is (1/6)arctan(x/6) + C..

then just evaluate it for 0 to 6

(1/6)arctan(6/6)-[(1/6)arctan(0/6)]

[(1/6)*(Pi/4)]-0= Pi/24