What is the definition of p_Θ?

• Thread starter td21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the question is asking for the definition of p_Θ, which cannot be answered without further context. The suggested equations provided by the person asking the question are most likely incorrect. It would be better to start from the Lagrangian in cartesian coordinates and transform it to spherical coordinates to find the correct definition of p_Θ.
td21
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I search all over the web using the keyword linear "momentum polar coordinates", "lagrangian in polar coordinates", "hamiltonian in polar coordinates", "momentum in 2D polar coordinates" for about half an hour.
but i fail to find it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is either:
1. p_Θ = m*(r*d/dt(θ))^2
2. p_Θ = m*(d/dt(θ))^2

which one is correct? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
##p_\theta## is whatever the author of the context defines it to be. Without a bit more of that context it is impossible to help you.

I find it very hard to believe you were given an exercise for which the full problem statement is actually

Your relevant equations are not equations at all and how long you searched for them is not relevant

Neither 1 nor 2 is correct in your attempt at a solution. Is my bet.

Please start over. I do want to help, even if this reply seems a bit sour...

*If* you are trying to find the conjugate momentum related to the angle ##\theta## in spherical coordinates for a point mass - this is not at all clear from your post - then your alternatives cannot be right as they are quadratic in ##\dot\theta##. I suggest you start from the Lagrangian in cartesian coordinates, transform it to spherical, and use the definition of the conjugate momentum.

p_Θ, often written as p(theta), is a mathematical symbol used to represent the probability distribution function of a random variable Θ. It describes the likelihood of obtaining a specific outcome or set of outcomes for Θ.

How is p_Θ different from other probability distributions?

p_Θ is a specific probability distribution that is unique to the random variable Θ. Other probability distributions, such as the normal distribution or the binomial distribution, are used to model different types of random variables.

What factors influence the value of p_Θ?

The value of p_Θ is influenced by the characteristics of the random variable Θ, such as its range of possible values and the likelihood of each value occurring. It can also be affected by external factors, such as sample size and experimental conditions.

How is p_Θ calculated?

The calculation of p_Θ depends on the specific probability distribution being used. In general, it involves determining the likelihood of each possible outcome for Θ and summing these probabilities to get the overall probability distribution.

Why is p_Θ important in scientific research?

p_Θ is important in scientific research because it allows us to quantify the likelihood of obtaining certain outcomes for a specific random variable. This information is crucial for making predictions and drawing conclusions based on collected data.