The Heaviside Function and its Derivative: A Distributional Perspective

• Thread starter Amok
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the Heaviside function, which is a twice derivable function. It is defined as 1 when x is greater than or equal to 0 and 0 when x is less than 0. The derivative of this function is the Dirac delta function, which is the weak derivative. This function is not differentiable at 0 and the Heaviside function is not differentiable in the normal sense.
Amok
I would have said it is 0, but then why is it that a twice derivable function is a function like, for example, f(x) = x. I've been studying maths for a while, but I had never asked myself this question until I came across the Heaviside function:

[tex] H(x) = 1 \ if\ x\geq 0\ and\ H(x)=0\ if\ x<0[/tex]

The derivative of this function (in the distributional sense) is the Dirac delta function:

Let [tex]\varphi \in S [/tex], the Schwartz space then:

[tex] \langle T_{H}^{(1)},\varphi \rangle = - \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} H(x) \varphi '(x) dx = - \int_{0}^{+ \infty} \varphi '(x) dx = -[\varphi (x)]_{0}^{\infty} = \varphi (0) = \langle \delta, \varphi \rangle = \delta [/tex]

And not,

[tex] \langle T_{H}^{(1)},\varphi \rangle = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} H'(x) \varphi (x) dx = \int_{0}^{+ \infty} 0 \cdot \varphi (x) dx + \int_{- \infty}^{0} 0 \cdot \varphi (x) dx = 0 [/tex]

Which implies that H(x) is not derivable in the 'normal' sense (which implies 0 doesn't have a derivative).

EDIT: I just realized the Heaviside function is not differentiable at 0 (it is not even continuous)!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't imply that 0(x) doesn't have a derivative at all.
It implies that the Heaviside function doesn't have a derivative in the normal sense.

The dirac delta is the WEAK derivative of the Heaviside function, H'(x) in your second line is a meaningless expression for a function that was to be defined at ALL points.

1. What is the derivative of 0?

The derivative of 0 is 0. This is because 0 is a constant value and has no change in value with respect to any other variable.

2. How do you find the derivative of 0?

To find the derivative of 0, you can use the definition of derivative which is the limit of the change in y over the change in x as the change in x approaches 0. Since 0 divided by any number is 0, the derivative of 0 is 0.

3. Can the derivative of 0 be negative?

No, the derivative of 0 cannot be negative. This is because the derivative represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point, and 0 has no change in value.

4. Is the derivative of 0 always 0?

Yes, the derivative of 0 is always 0. This is because the derivative of a constant value is always 0.

5. What is the significance of the derivative of 0 in calculus?

The derivative of 0 is significant in calculus because it represents the slope of a horizontal line, which is always 0. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of functions and their rates of change.