What is the difference between SS201 and SS304

• Thread starter sdjsblues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation is about a friend seeking help in choosing between ss201 and ss304 for making stainless steel kitchen utensils. However, there is not enough information about the application requirements for a definitive answer. A comparison link is provided for further reference.
sdjsblues
Recently a friend wanted me to help him tune a stainless steel volume used in the production of kitchen utensils, and finally I chose the ss201 and ss304, but I do not know which of the two which is better?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Possibly, he wanted you to help him choose ...

:smile:

NascentOxygen said:

+1

In any case there is not enough information about the application requirements for any sensible answers to be given .

There is a basic comparison here : http://www.stainlesssteelblog.com/2012/11/304-vs-201-stainless-steel.html

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:

:smile:
yes.he just want to make some stainless bowls and plates.i think ss201 is good enough,am i right?

Nidum said:
+1

In any case there is not enough information about the application requirements for any sensible answers to be given .

There is a basic comparison here : http://www.stainlesssteelblog.com/2012/11/304-vs-201-stainless-steel.html
thank you for you reply.i will look later.

1. What are the main differences between SS201 and SS304?

SS201 and SS304 are two grades of stainless steel with different chemical compositions and properties. SS201 contains 16-18% chromium, 3.5-5.5% nickel, and 5.5-7.5% manganese, while SS304 contains 18-20% chromium, 8-10.5% nickel, and 0.08% carbon. This results in differences in corrosion resistance, strength, and appearance.

2. Which grade is more corrosion resistant?

SS304 is generally more corrosion resistant than SS201 due to its higher chromium and nickel content. This makes it a better choice for applications where the steel will be exposed to harsh environments or corrosive substances.

3. Which grade is stronger?

SS304 is stronger than SS201 due to its higher nickel and carbon content. This gives it better tensile and yield strength, making it more suitable for applications where strength is important, such as in structural components or high-pressure environments.

4. Are there differences in appearance between SS201 and SS304?

Yes, there are slight differences in appearance between the two grades. SS201 has a slightly duller and less reflective surface compared to SS304, which has a brighter and shinier appearance. This is due to the difference in nickel content, which affects the steel's ability to retain its shine.

5. Which grade is more commonly used?

SS304 is more commonly used than SS201 due to its superior corrosion resistance, strength, and versatility. It is widely used in various industries, including food processing, construction, and automotive, while SS201 is typically used for less demanding applications.