What is the difference between these two majors/degrees?

• Programs
  • Thread starter TeeAOng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, pre-engineering is a two-year program that prepares students for a Bachelor's in engineering. Most community colleges offer this program.
TeeAOng
What is the difference between a pre-engineering major and an engineering major? (US colleges only). I have seen this option a few times at some of the universities and colleges in our area.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of pre-engineering. However, extrapolating from its name, pre-engineering is most likely a two-year program/Associate's degree that teaches you the fundamentals of engineering and will prepare you for a Bachelor's in engineering.

OR: it could be like pre-med or pre-law, which prepares you for graduate school. You don't really need to do pre-engineering for grad school, though.

My best guess is that if High School left you bereft of any decent mathematics or basic science skills, a course in Pre-Engineering may help you get past that.

We'd all like to think our high schools are better than that, but sadly they aren't.

I've never heard of pre-engineering either. I would also guess that it's a two year program, whereas normal engineering degrees takes four years.

My undergrad school offered a pre-Engineering program; this was because it did not offer a degree in Engineering. Rather, prospective Engineers took the required low-level physics courses needed during their freshman and sophomore years, and then transferred before their junior year to a larger school in order to complete their degree.

Like the other have said-

At my school, engineering programs are competitive and you need to be accepted into the department for the last two years. When you are completing prerequisites you are called pre-engineering.

Also, most community college call their 2 year Associate Degree that have the same purpose pre-engineering.

The program I'm in at my community college is called pre-engineering, and it is a 2 year Associate degree designed to prepare students to transfer to regional universities. Basically it's just a bunch of general-education classes, and the some introductory engineering classes.

http://catalog.volstate.acalog.com/preview_program.php?catoid=11&poid=495&returnto=247

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen pre-engineering. From what I've heard, it's statics, dynamics, calculus, intro physics, and stuff like that, and is a two-year degree offered by some community colleges in lieu of an associates. It's for transfer students.

Thanks everyone for the clarification.

What is the difference between a major and a degree?

A major is a specific area of study within a degree program. A degree is the overall academic achievement earned after completing a set of requirements, including a major, in a specific field.

What is the difference between a Bachelor's and a Master's degree?

A Bachelor's degree is an undergraduate degree that typically takes 4 years to complete. A Master's degree is a graduate degree that can be earned after completing a Bachelor's degree and typically takes 1-2 years to complete.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree?

A Bachelor of Arts degree typically focuses on a broad liberal arts education, while a Bachelor of Science degree focuses on a more specialized and technical field of study. This can vary between universities and specific majors.

What is the difference between a major in a specific subject and a major in a specific field?

A major in a specific subject, such as English or Biology, focuses on a specific area of study. A major in a specific field, such as Business Administration or Engineering, focuses on a specific career or industry.

What is the difference between a major and a minor?

A major is the primary area of study and requires a set number of courses to be completed. A minor is a secondary area of study and requires fewer courses to be completed. Minors are often chosen to complement a major or pursue a personal interest.