What is the difference in magnitude between two stars with varying distances?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
stardrop
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


One star is intrinsically 100 times brighter than the other. If the brighter star is twice as far away as the dimmer star, what is the difference in their m values and their M values.



Homework Equations


None were given.



The Attempt at a Solution


The equation I've been using most frequently in this problem set is M + m = 5 - 5logd, but I'm not really sure how or even if I can apply it here, since this problem is reverse of what I've been given so far. Usually I have magnitudes and am asked to find the distance.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in magnitude between two stars given their brightness is thus:

[tex]m_2-m_1=2.5 \log(\frac{b_1}{b_2})[/tex]

This relates to apparent brightness and apparent magnitude.